Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 27th, 2011 23:00

BD-ROM Drive won't play Blu Ray Disks

I have a Studio Slim 540s with Windows 7 installed after purchase (it came with Vista).  Hadn't tried to play a Blu Ray disk until now and it won't play.  CD's & DVD's work fine.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

5 Posts

April 28th, 2011 10:00

When I bought the PC from Dell it came with the Blu Ray drive so I sort of expected I could play Blu Ray disks. Would Dell sell me a computer that came with the drive but not the software? If so, what do I need to install?

Thanks!

Wayne

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 28th, 2011 09:00

Hi Zman9999,

Does your drive support blu ray discs? Do you have a program for viewing blu ray movies? If so, have you tried reinstalling and updating the program?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 28th, 2011 17:00

Wayne,

Can you just check the model of your drive for me? Dell normally provides a blu ray version of PowerDVD. After you upgraded to Win 7, you may have needed to reinstall that program or update it for Win 7.

5 Posts

May 2nd, 2011 23:00

Sorry - was out of town.

The system I bought said it came with:

1 TN960 Assembly, DVD+/-RW And BD-ROM 6X, BARE, HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2011 16:00

Did you check your PowerDVD disc?

5 Posts

May 3rd, 2011 23:00

I looked through all the disks that came with the computer and the Windows 7 software and don't see a "PowerDVD" Disk.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 4th, 2011 05:00

Send me a private message (click on my name). I'm sure we can figure out how to get that program to you.

1 Message

January 18th, 2012 16:00

I am having the same issue on my Studio. I checked the discs that came with the computer, and I do not have a PowerDVD disc.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 19th, 2012 07:00

BD playback can be bundled into PowerDVD, WINDVD, ROXIO

However unless you get certificate and firmware updates the BD playback will stop working after a short while.

The Blu-Ray plug-in is required  to play AVCHD discs.

If you own the Creator Blu-Ray plug-in and a Blu-Ray burner with Blu-Ray media, you can burn a Blu-Ray disc that will play in any compatible (or most) Blu-Ray players.

Minimum System Requirements:

• Roxio Creator™ 2012 or Creator™ 2012 Pro
  • Blu-ray Disc burner
  • Window7, Windows Vista and Windows XP
  • GPU 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor or equivalent
  • 1GB RAM
  • 1024x768 video display, 32-bit color quality
  • Windows-compatible sound card, speakers
  • Windows-compatible mouse or infrared remote control
  • 32 MB installation hard disk space

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 19th, 2012 17:00

When I bought the PC from Dell it came with the Blu Ray drive so I sort of expected I could play Blu Ray disks. Would Dell sell me a computer that came with the drive but not the software? If so, what do I need to install?

I suggest Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater; you should be able to get it for $65 online with an online coupon.

PowerDVD Ultra may work for a while, but new versions (with little or no real additional functionality) are constantly released and Blu-ray copy protection updates are only maintained for the last three or so versions.

1 Message

January 7th, 2014 17:00

I bought a blu Ray drive from pc world and it came with a power DVD 10 disc. Up until now it has worked fine, but bow it is not playing the disc, it knows what the disc is but not playing it. This all came from an update it said it needed. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it is still doing the same thing. What can this be due to??

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 8th, 2014 07:00

Hi Br0ken,

If the drive recognizes the disc but will not play it, then it's an issue with PowerDVD. I would go to the Cyberlink forums for help.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 9th, 2014 17:00

bought a blu Ray drive from pc world and it came with a power DVD 10 disc. Up until now it has worked fine, but bow it is not playing the disc, it knows what the disc is but not playing it. This all came from an update it said it needed. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it is still doing the same thing. What can this be due to??

The update is for copy protection, and hopefully it's available for PowerDVD 10. If not,  you need to update or change your playback software.

No Events found!