Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2014 05:00

BSOD 7B WIN 7 Precision T3500

Hello!

I replaced a dead PSU on a Precision T3500 with WIN7 64bit and when i tried to boot again i get STOP ERRORS;

0X0000007B

0x0FFFFF880009A9928

0XFFFFFFFFC0000034

When i run the windows repair disk i get this:

Problem signature

01: 6.1.7600.16385

02: 6.1.7600.16385

03:

04: 21200210

05: AUTOFAILOVER

06: 6

07: NO ROOT CAUSE

Ive run memorycheck and and diskcheck and all RAM, CPU and disks where free of errors except that I get previously recorded ERROR CODE 2000-0146 on both the boot drive and the DVD Drive when i ran the bootcheck

I temporarily removed the CMOS battery when i tried to get it to boot earlier and i noticed that beside the system clock been reset the RAID was on instead of autodetect AHCI as i think it was before. 

I posted in the hardware forum before but this looks more like some driver or settings issue i thought i post here instead.

Please help!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 13th, 2014 16:00

Hi PMB2013,

First, whatever the controller mode was before this happened, make sure it's set that way. If it was RAID before, set it to RAID. If it was AHCI, set it to AHCI. A wrong setting will give you the same BSOD.

To verify the integrity of the hard drive, please boot to your Dell drivers and utilities disc and run the Dell diagnostics on your hard drive. If the utility disc won't boot or gives you the same error, go to downloads and get a recent version of the diagnostic media utility to create a bootable flash drive, then run the diagnostics from there.

20 Posts

January 14th, 2014 04:00

Hi!

Im almost 100% sure it was set to Autodetect/AHCI before the PSU went dead and it defaulted to RAID ON when i pulled the CMOS battery. The problem was that i tried to get it running with "last good configuration" and tried repair, before i noticed that it had been auto set to RAID, so i think that might have something to do with the BSOD.

The computer came with Vista so i made a clean Win 7 installation so the Dell partition is unfortunately gone, is there any way of using the Dell diagnostics from a USB or running it from DOS? I have the Dell program installed on the boot drive and i can see all programs and partitions from the Win 7 X drive or a repair CD.

Thanks for your time!

20 Posts

January 14th, 2014 04:00

Oh sorry i didnt see you already answered the USB diagnostics question.

20 Posts

January 14th, 2014 08:00

Ok, i downloaded the Dell diagnostics tool and burned to a CD because it doesnt seem to accept a 7G USB Pendrive and it detects a lot of IRQ errors on the bootdrive a 1TB Seagate so it looks like im getting a new HDD all the other tests where OK. I imagine that if i set it to Autodetct /AHCI when installing the OS again it will be OK?

Thanks for your help! Take care.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 14th, 2014 15:00

Yes, that's exactly what I would do, set it to Autodetect/AHCI and reinstall. I've got a link to a reinstall guide below if it helps.

20 Posts

January 15th, 2014 10:00

Hi Osprey4! I pinpointed the issue with the drive, its a Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB:

"As has been widely reported in the media, Seagate has confirmed a firmware defect, which can suddenly make a drive permanently inaccessible on power-up. The issue has also been labeled 'frozen drives', 'bricked drives' or 'boot of death'. The only way to prevent this from happening is to apply a firmware update before the drive freezes. Once frozen, the drive is no longer accessible and no firmware update is possible without using special equipment.

Seagate strongly recommends updating the firmware of all models affected by this bug. See the details at http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=1938475."

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/p/19254623/19623955.aspx

Im able to boot into windows now and the disk pass the windows diskcheck and i dont have any noticable problems with it, but it fails both the DELL test and the SEATOOLS test so i im not sure if its the old firmware or the disk is dying.

I'll get a new drive and clone the Barracuda before i do the firmware update anyway to be sure. If there are more DELL computers shipped with the Seagate drives the owners should probably check if they too need a firmware upgrade.

Seagate currently has firmware updates for certain drive families. Check here to see if an update is available:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207931en

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 15th, 2014 15:00

Ok, thanks for the update. If the Dell diagnostics and Seatools both shows problems, then you're taking the right action to replace the drive.

Thanks for that link.

No Events found!