Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2012 14:00

Blu-ray ROM is not working.

I have a Dell Studio 1555 laptop with ATI HD Radeon 4570 graphics card and Blu-ray ROM. This rom used to play blu-ray discs usually before but now if I try to play the content it simply ejects the disc. Its not even detected by the system. 

But i have Blu-ray 3D content disc and when inserted, this disc is detected by the system. I am able to open the files but couldn't play the content. It says

"This disc recognized that your player and/or display does not support 3D playback. To begin your 3D experience, please insert this disk into 3D enabled Blu-ray player and connect to a 3D enabled display with a HDMI cable, or insert your disc into a 3D enabled computer with Blu-ray drive"

This message is displayed by the Cyberlink PowerDVD v8.3.6107. It is same with the higher versions as well.

Question ::

1) Does it mean that my Blu-ray ROM itself doesn't support 3D content?

2) Why isn't it detecting the normal Blu-ray disks [which i can play] at all and detecting the 3D Blu-ray disc [which i cannot play]?

565 Posts

June 15th, 2012 15:00

Hi phsetaknev,

Welcome to the Community.

I would be glad to assist you with the question that you have

For the first question that you have: Dell studio 1555 computer does not support 3D as the LCD which this has is not a 3D screen. Due to which you are getting that error message.

For the second question: I wanted to check if you have tried to update Cyberlink power-DVD on the computer, if yes try to reinstall Cyberlink power DVD on the computer and then try to check if it is working fine.

Try to update the BIOS by using the link:

www.dell.com/.../NeedProductSelection

In this you would need to enter the service tag and make sure that you have selected the correct windows version. Also update the firmware for the Blu-ray drive to check which drive you have you would need to get in device manager and click on the plus sign of DVD drive and check the Drive detail and then you can update the firmware for the Blu-ray drive.

Device manager may look like this.

Also wanted to check if it is doing the same thing with all other CD’s and DVD’s that you have?

Please respond in case you need any further assistance or clarification.

June 15th, 2012 15:00

• Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

To enjoy Blu-ray 3D titles, you  must upgrade your PC or your home theater system. There are several components that are needed:

• A 3D-capable display (TV, desktop display, or notebook PC display)

• 3D glasses compatible with your display

• A PC with Blu-ray 3D player software, or a (set-top) Blu-ray 3D player

Thanks,

jitender

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 15th, 2012 17:00

Hi Phsetaknev,

Apart from the 3D thing, there's a question whether your drive is working properly. My suggestion would be to test your drive using the Dell diagnostics. To test your blu ray drive from the utility partition:
1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.
2. Select Boot to utility partition or Diagnostics.
3. Select Test System.
4. Select Custom Test.
5. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your blu ray drive.
6. Insert a blu ray disc.
7. Click Run Tests.
8. Write down any error messages.

Let me know whether your drive passes or fails the test.

7 Posts

June 16th, 2012 08:00

Thanks for your reply, I know that my laptop doesn't support 3D content, but isn't it the feature provided by the Blu-ray media player that you install on you laptop?? 

I have a Sony Bravia 3D LED TV, 32 inch............ 1080p......... I connected my laptop to the TV with a HDMI cable and inserted the 3D Blu-ray disc into my BD-ROM. It is getting detected but giving this message 

"This disc recognized that your player and/or display does not support 3D playback. To begin your 3D experience, please insert this disk into 3D enabled Blu-ray player and connect to a 3D enabled display with a HDMI cable, or insert your disc into a 3D enabled computer with Blu-ray drive"

But when i insert any other NORMAL Blu-ray disc [not 3D Blu-ray disc] it doesn't even detect it! WHY??????

I am using Cyberlink PowerDVD v8.3.6107. Even i tried with Cyberlink PowerDVD 12, but still the same problem!

First of all i want to know whether there are 3D Blu-ray ROMs and normal Blu-ray ROMs?? But i dont think there are, the 3D content plays in the 3D TV if we connect it externally and its totally dependent on the player we use............ There is nothing Like a BD-ROM plays/detects only normal blu-ray discs but NOT 3D blu-ray discs. I stand corrected if this is a wrong assumption.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

7 Posts

June 16th, 2012 08:00

Thanks for your reply osprey4................. this is what I am going to do next....... Run the diagnostics!

Meanwhile can you tell me whether there are different types of BD-ROMs which support and doesn't support 3D content?? My screen doesn't support it and i know that, but what if i use a 3D TV?? I have a Sony Bravia 3D LED TV, 32 inch, 1080p and I am connecting my laptop with the Blu-ray disc [3D blu-ray disc is detected, normal blu-ray disc is NOT detected] to the TV with HDMI cable!

I am using Cyberlink PowerDVD v8.3.6107. Even i tried with Cyberlink PowerDVD 12, but still the same problem!

7 Posts

June 16th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for your reply DELL-Madhur B, I know that my laptop doesn't support 3D content, but isn't it the feature provided by the Blu-ray media player that you install on you laptop??

I have a Sony Bravia 3D LED TV, 32 inch............ 1080p......... I connected my laptop to the TV with a HDMI cable and inserted the 3D Blu-ray disc into my BD-ROM. It is getting detected but giving this message

But when i insert any other NORMAL Blu-ray disc [not 3D Blu-ray disc] it doesn't even detect it! WHY??????

I am using Cyberlink PowerDVD v8.3.6107. Even i tried with Cyberlink PowerDVD 12, but still the same problem!

I am yet to flash the new BIOS, and i will see after flashing it! and I've updated the driver of the BD-ROM that i have [it says the driver is up to date], but still facing the same issue! And I am able to play/detect the CD/DVD s, but not the NORMAL blu-ray discs, and I am able to make it detect the 3D blu-ray disc but couldn't play it........ :(

First of all i want to know whether there are 3D Blu-ray ROMs and normal Blu-ray ROMs?? But i dont think there are, the 3D content plays in the 3D TV if we connect it externally and its totally dependent on the player we use............ There is nothing Like a BD-ROM plays/detects only normal blu-ray discs but NOT 3D blu-ray discs. I stand corrected if this is a wrong assumption.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 16th, 2012 15:00

Blu-ray 3D is a software feature; any BD-ROM drive should be able to read the raw disc and it's the player that provides the 3D support. I suggest downloading the Total Media Theater 15-day trial; if your disc then plays, then your issue is lack of compatible playback software.

PowerDVD 8 is a very old version dating back to early 2008, more than four years ago, just after the format war finished. Much has changed with Blu-ray since then.

7 Posts

June 17th, 2012 01:00

Hey osprey4,

I did run the full diagnostics and also the BD-ROM diagnostics, till the CD and DVD sections it was well and good, but when it asked me to Insert a BR disc, I inserted a NORMAL BR disc....... and it didn't detect it at all and it asked me again to Insert a BR disc......... now i entered 3D Blu-ray disc and now it detected it and ran the diagnostics, but it didn't play it!

What should I do now?? I'm all confused about this detection of Normal discs and 3D discs!

7 Posts

June 17th, 2012 01:00

Hi rdunnill, Even i think so. There shouldn't be any problem with the BD-ROM but the player, but i dont know anything for sure........i need some help here. I even used Cyberlink PowerDVD latest software that is v12, but still couldn't play the 3D content in the TV.

And what do you think about the NORMAL Blu-ray discs that are not getting detected by the ROM??

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 17th, 2012 05:00

I think the easiest path forward is to replace your drive. I don't necessarily think it's a 3D problem, but your drive clearly does not read all BR discs consistently.

If you purchase a "retail" BR drive, it will include current software for playing BR and other types of media discs.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 17th, 2012 10:00

Good points, Osprey.

7 Posts

June 19th, 2012 10:00

I got my PS3 yesterday and when i inserted these NORMAL blu-ray discs it upgraded some software and successfully  played the Disc. Even the 3D content was pretty good. Of course its Sony.

Well i cannot replace, my laptop is out of warranty. When it was in warranty it was with the service center people all the time I never got to use it. And if I am buying a Blu-ray player then i will buy a stand alone player, but not any bloody sick BD-ROM again. And in my life I am never going to buy a Dell again anyway. It's been a hell of a journey with Dell! I bought both Dell and Sony at the same time with same features. My Sony works like a charm even today without any lags. It slipped through my hands and made a pretty good impact with the ground and there is not even a single crack on it! With dell I've been facing this restarts, blue screens, heating issues [the enormous one]. SICK

And thanks for your prompt replies!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 19th, 2012 10:00

Of course you can replace the drive with any after-market blur ray drive. I don't know about your country, but in the US, a laptop blu ray/DVD burner will run about $130-150.

No Events found!