Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2017 19:00

Boot directory info from a corrupted SSD

The SSD in my Dell 6430u has an error code 2000-0142 and won't boot up.  I get the Dell symbol, windows box, a brief notice of "restoring previous version of windows", black screen and repeat.  I purchased a USB 3.0 to mSata SSD adapter converter and copied the drive.  There is a single directory titled "Boot", with 40 sub-directories and 4 files.  The sub-directories are titled, bg-BG, cs-CZ, etc...

I was hoping to see my data (photos & files), but don't know what to do with this "Boot" directory info.  Any suggestions to access my data?   

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 15th, 2017 04:00

The boot directory doesn't contain your data -- that's stored in the C: partition.  

If you don't see that, you'll need to make a careful consideration:  how much is the data worth to you?  Depending on what's wrong, it MAY be possible for a professional well versed in data recovery to get the data from the drive.  On a solid state drive, this is far from a trivial process and will almost certainly run into a four-digit price tag.

While there ARE some free recovery tools you can try (recuva is one), ANYTHING you do at this point can reduce the chances of a successful recovery.  Carefully weigh that (and the cost of the recovery) before you decide how to proceed -- you may get only one chance.

2 Posts

December 15th, 2017 21:00

Thanks for the response.  

No Events found!