Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2005 08:00

Buffer Underrun Error

While trying to record a CD I keep getting the following message:

"E80041899 Write Error-Buffer Underrun Occurred [06/C5/00]"

I am currently using an Inspiron 5100 that has remained standard  with the Dell factory software (Roxio)  I have not installed any new devices which would interfere with the CD writer.  It occurs with all files I am trying to burn, both music and data.  My computer is somewhat new (2003) and I do not fill it up with useless stuff all the time.  I have 55 gigs free on the hard disk.

I have done the troubleshooting but much of what it suggests does not apply to me.  The device was working fine a few weeks ago.  My target CD's are old, but clean and I can not imagine what has caused this.  Everything else works fine.  The drive plays both CDs and DVDs with no porblem.

Thanks for any help you might be able to throw my way.

Shamrock

14.4K Posts

March 30th, 2005 13:00

you need to double check in device manager that your optical drive hasn't slipped from dma to pio mode.

March 30th, 2005 15:00

How might I go about doing that?  I am computer dumb!

Jason

10.9K Posts

March 30th, 2005 18:00

Check Predators Web Site Section 15, Article 14 here ...............

March 31st, 2005 08:00

Ok I tried that and it still gives me the message and spits my CD back out at me.

S-Rock

10.9K Posts

March 31st, 2005 11:00

If you are receiving a buffer under-run error message, then your PC cannot transfer
data fast enough to the CD/DVD Burner. If the buffer under-run prevention option
is available, check it is enabled, if your drive supports that feature. Consider the
following to see if it helps identify or remedy the situation:

1. Try and lower the write speed so the drive is transferring data at a slower rate.

2. Make sure no other software is running in the background or you are not working
   with another software program while a CD is trying to be written.  Check for
   background programs in msconfig.

3. If you are copying a CD, make sure the CD you are copying is not copy protected.

4. Verify buffer under-run is checked if you software and drive supports it.

5. Check to make sure source media and files are not corrupt or defective.

6. Try different media because inferior grade CD’s may cause a problem

7. Try copying the CD to the hard drive (Create image) then burning the CD from
   the hard drive to the Burner.

8. Run Disk Defragmenter on your Hard Drive.

9. Check for Drive Firmware Updates.

No Events found!