Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2016 07:00

Burn a movie/DVD file to External USB DVDRW Drive

I recently bought Dell External USB DVD -RW drive, Model GP61NB60.  It came with PowertoGo software.

I want to copy and burn a movie/DVD from a USB Zip drive to a DVD -RW disc on this external drive and then use this burned DVD disc to watch the movie/DVD on my TV using the DVD player.

I copied the file via PowertoGo to the DVD -RW and then burnt it.  The burnt DVD works on the PC but it does not work on the DVD player for the TV.  It gives me an error.

What an I doing wrong?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  My email is <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 1st, 2016 09:00

You cannot simply copy the file to a disc -- it needs to be burned in a format the player can read.  The first place to check would be in the documentation that came with the software you used -- the other issue could be in the file itself, if it's copyright protected -- if that's the case, you may not be able to play it in a standalone DVD player.

March 1st, 2016 11:00

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, there was absolutely no documentation for the software.  Dell provided only the disc.

After copying the disc, I did burn it,  The software asked me if I wanted to burn it so that DVD player can play.  But it did not work in the DVD player but worked on the PC.

I have Windows 10.

Thanks

March 8th, 2019 09:00

I am having a somewhat similar problem.  I bought software to download a home movie recorded on a VCR tape.  The download went fine (with a few hitches) but the file is saved on my computer now and I can play the file on the computer.  However, the software that was used to download the home movie (VCR) was supposed to also be able to burn the movie to a dvd.  That did not work.  I tried a DVD+ and a DVD-, but neither would work.

Anyone have any ideas?  different error messages came up.

No Events found!