mika96826
1 Copper

Burned music CD doesn't play in any external CD players

Hi, I have a Dell  XPS 8700 & was able to burn CDs from ripped music & play them in my car CD player until recently.

Although I still can burn music (after I talked to a rep for an hr. yesterday), I can't play it in a CD player. The music can be played in my computer however...

What's happening...Any suggestions? (I am not a computer geek)

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Burned music CD doesn't play in any external CD players

Hi mika96826,

Let me ask you to try this. Put one of the discs that won't play in your computer's DVD drive. Open File Explorer, and click on your DVD drive. Tell me if you see any file names listed there.

0 Kudos
mika96826
1 Copper

I inserted the disc and File explorer indicates "files currently on this disc" (music file in file folder & date of

bB Guy [music} as windows media player) & also it says "files need to be written).  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You should see something like this.

Next to your DVD drive, it should list "Audio CD".

On the right side of the window, it should show a number of audio tracks, listed with a .cda extension, like this:

0 Kudos
mika96826
1 Copper

Thanks, Osprey,

The problem was solved via going to Settings & then to AutoPlay & adjusting the settings on audio CD. (I contacted my Dell rep who instructed me to do so.)  Now I can play the burned CD in my portable CD & car CD players. So my driver is working. 

But the burned CD doesn't work in my old Sony DVD/CD player although it works in our newer Koss DVD/CD player. We bought the Sony player at a garage sale so don't know how old it is, assuming the player is the problem.

Now, I have to figure out why my printer is not printing...the joys of computer!

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Hi there

That sounds to me like you are now burning your files in the mp3 format, which often doesn't work for older cd players.  Placing the disk back in your pc and checking it out using Windows Explorer should tell you what sort of files you are now burning.  You might want to try a third party disk burner.  There are free versions of Ashampoo Burning Studio, for example, that make it clear when you are buring a music disk how it can be played in various players.

Fred

0 Kudos