Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2015 16:00

Burning audio CDs from downloaded MP3 files

Hello everyone: I have a 2014 DELL Inspiron 3647. The disk drive is TSST corp DVD+-RW SH-216DB. I am considering purchasing a program that is being sold as MP3 downloads, 21 CDs, and it's too good a deal to pass up. With past DELL desktops I burnt quite a few downloads. It's been a while and I don't think as intuitive as I used to do so I don't presently think I can handle the task without your assistance although I could call DELL support and request their assistance. I'd rather learn your tips than deal with someone in another country who isn't that clear to understand. I don't have a problem with that when they take over my pc to repair whatever and sometimes you get a tech who concentrates on the task and rarely speaks. Then you get a curious tech that peppers you with dialogue while he works. Almost all of the DELL techs were nice, helpful people. However, here, it's nice 'n' quiet! (sorry for rambling).

If I remember, first I create a blank folder on the desktop where the downloads from the supplied link will be placed. Then what? I remember something about zip files which require a decoder to unzip the files. That's all I can remember. Please fill in the blanks with non-technical jargon.

I'm gonna wait for replies before I place the order in case a reply contains details I should ask the seller about. Thanks in advance.

57 Posts

November 4th, 2015 17:00

Thanks. Using your suggestions and link, I'm still going to buy the $30 21 MP3 downloads 'cause the seller includes a program that I want and it doesn't seem to be available separately as commercial CDs. But I'm not ready for that yet as I have first to deal with the commercial CDs I'm waiting for and I have no idea when and if I'll be ready for the extra program. Again, thanks for your help.

57 Posts

October 25th, 2015 16:00

I erred in the title. I should not have said audio CDs. I should have said CD-Rs.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 28th, 2015 16:00

Hi Optixian,

Ok, so let me make sure I understand you correctly. You're going to buy a bucket of MP3 files that can be burned to audio CD, and it will end up filling 21 discs. I assume you'll download this bucket as a single file? Really, you could put it anywhere but just downloading the file to the desktop is fine (no need to create a folder for it). Then just right click, select EXTRACT ALL and it should create a folder and extract these files. You might want to extract them to the music folder under libraries. 

Please let me know if you need help burning the MP3 files to audio CD-Rs.

I would think the seller would give you detailed instructions. But of course I'm happy to answer any questions.

57 Posts

October 28th, 2015 19:00

Well, Osprey4, I've gone thru a lot of heart wrenching since last week when I found what I thought was a greal deal: either pay $269+ at ebay or $500 at the Monroe Institue (some places way over a $1,000!) or pay $30 for an MP3 download and PDF for the manuals.

I've since learned that the compression used on those MP3s may not be the best choice to make sure that the Hemi-Sync tones do not sufer and deliver less of the benefits of the program because the brain may not operate properly being fed less than ideal audio.

I went to Hemi-Sync forums and learned from some who complained about bit rates from "unofficial" CDs. The discussions centered about the best bit rates for full satisfaction and most often the complaints were about MP3 downloads using 128 bps. Some said 192 was better and some said it's not that 256 or even 320 should be the way to go.

At that point I lost it and went ahead and bought the original 18 commercial CDs for $265 on ebay and that includes the booklets. No fuss, no muss, just unpack and enjoy.

I may, in the future, download MP3 music downloads as I used to when I had a DELL OptiPlex running Windows XP and I had it down pat where I've burned approx. 50 80-minute CD-Rs. But I haven't downloaded anything since last year I don't know if my stock PC can handle downloading and burning without dowloading WinZip. I wouldn't know how to go about converting MP3 music downloads to a successful CD-R.

I'll find out soon. Thanks for your offer to help I may still take you up on it.

Since I didn't buy the seller's $30 download special I can't say if he would have given me additional info and I pestered him with some questions and then I didn't buy.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 30th, 2015 17:00

Well, you're obviously not a typical audio aficionado. You are correct that MP3 quality varies greatly, and unless you know exactly what you're getting, you should not risk your hard earned money. In the early days of limited space on MP3 players, lots of music was encoded at 128 bps to save space. Nowadays, space is not expensive so high bit rate (256 bps) or variable bit rate MP3s are more commonplace, as are "loss-less" formats such as FLAC and ALAC. However, nothing beats the original audio CD (or vinyl), which is why I nearly always buy the physical disc and not the MP3 files.

Burning MP3 files to an audio CD is very easy, such as described here. And there are many applications that can do this. But of course, should you ever have questions, you're welcome to stop by and post here for any help.

Happy listening!! And happy Halloween!!

57 Posts

October 30th, 2015 19:00

I'm 77 and in the 1960s I sold audio components for Lafayette radio downtown and in Paramus, NJ. I never had golden ears but knew quality sound when I heard it. I owned classic audio components that are now expensive collectors' items. In the winter I used I used to warm my room with tube equipment! I rarely dealt with MP3 devices and the 50 or so MP3 downloads I burned off music forums satisfy me no end. Since I never did comparisons I don't know what I missed. I wanted to learn about FLAC and ALAC but they're way over my head as they require a one-on-one teaching to grasp and put to use. I had thousands of LPs but was ecstatic when CDs replaced them. I will archive the link you provided and will study it for future use. Thanks a lot for including it. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 4th, 2015 15:00

You're a special kind of audiophile. :) Good luck with your digital adventure.

No Events found!