Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2014 12:00

C Drive partition on XPS 8700 with factory installed Windows 7 and 2 TB hard drive

Can anyone help? I recently purchased an XPS 8700 with factory installed Win 7.

I want to partition the hard drive which currently has 3 partitions:

39MB(unnamed), 23.22GB Recovery, 1839.75GB OS (C:)

Using disk management, when I come to shrink the C drive I have the following displayed:

Total size before shrink 1883909 MB

Size of available shrink space 928184 MB

I have hardly any programs on the system as I wanted to partition the C drive first. My aim was to leave about 61440MB in the C drive for the OS system.

I have spent hours on the internet trying to find a solution to change the size of the available shrink space but without success.

If anyone has a solution or can at least point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 13th, 2014 16:00

Hi Petirrojo,

Please keep in mind that resizing partitions always carries some risk, so ensure you have a complete hard drive backup first.

There are places on the hard drive reserved by Windows that the OS will not allow you to move, such as system restore, page file and the hibernation files. Turn these off and you should be able to shrink more.

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 11:00

Thanks for the help Osprey.

Sorry it was so long to acknowledge your help but I had to go into hospital, everything was put on hold.

Back on my feet now so intend to have a go at sorting things out!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2014 13:00

Wow, very sorry to hear that. Glad you're back on your feet and wishing you better health!

Happy to address any more questions. Just let me know.

No Events found!