Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2009 23:00

CD/DVD DISC DRIVE PROBLEMS??

I have a dell dimension e521 computer and whenever i put a cd or dvd in the disc drive the computer doesnt recgonze it, play it, or anything. I cant burn cds, rip cds, watch movies, play cd roms, or anything. Can you please help me find a solution to this problem.

Thnx!  =]

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 06:00

Hi, xot...:

Please go to the CD/DVD FAQ and follow the instructions to run the Dell diagnostics on your drive. You need to run the READ test.

July 2nd, 2009 14:00

no that didnt work

July 2nd, 2009 18:00

it dnt say anyhing when i tried installing it

It said it was a file and to pick what to open it with

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi, xo...:

It's a test. So did the test pass or fail?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2009 06:00

Ok, sounds like you're having a hard time understanding the process, so let me offer some easier instructions. All Dell computers ship with a utility partition on the hard drive that contains the Dell Diagnostic Utility. To get to the diagnostic partition, restart the computer. As the computer boots, press after the LEDs on the keyboard light up green. When the Boot menu appears, highlight the Boot to Utility Partition option, and then press   to start the 32-bit Dell Diagnostics. The system will prompt you with four choices, so pick Custom Test. Locate your CD/DVD drive in the list and run the built-in self test, as well as the Read test. To run the read test, you will be prompted to insert various types of discs. At the end of the test, you'll get a report as to whether it passed or failed, and possibly an error code.
Let me know what happens! :)

July 3rd, 2009 16:00

It failed the read test it said

error code 4E0F:021B

Msg: Block 74554: flaw in media or an error in the recorded data. if this is a removable device, retry the test with different media. (L-EC uncorrectble error)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 4th, 2009 06:00

I assume you tried other discs, so the obvious conclusion is that your drive has failed. Sorry about that. If you're still under warranty, call Dell for a replacement.

July 4th, 2009 15:00

how much would it cost to replace it

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 5th, 2009 06:00

Your system takes an SATA optical drive. Here are the replacement instructions, and here are some replacement options. A new drive will cost about $25-30.

No Events found!