LoriMVS
1 Copper

CD/DVD Drive inconsistent...

Hi, I have an DimensionB110 with the CD/DVD drive all in one.  It worked for years and recently stopped working consistently.  It will occasionally read a software CD (such as Sims0 but not always.  Installing new Sims is spotty too.  It will not play new, store bought CD's but will play old, home made CD's.  It will not burn CD's of music.  It will not play DVD's.  I am NOT a techie so if you suggest I need to run some kind of program, please either be specific as to "how" I get there (via "my computer" or through this website) or hold my hand through it!  I ran the computer's troubleshooter but it says no problem.  I checked for updates but I'm not sure I did that part right and there was nothing to update.  The unit is about 3 years old.  It may have stopped working properly after I installed Windows Office 2007 but reflecting back before that, it may have given me trouble before that, which I had attributed to some other errors.  The biggest frustration for my kids is not being able to burn CD's of their new itunes, and not being able to rip CD's of their new music.  I feel confident that I could learn how to mechanically install a new DVD/CD drive if I have to, but I don't want to mess with that if I don't have to.  Thanks for your help...it's good to have some place/people to ask!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: CD/DVD Drive inconsistent...

Hi, Lori:

Inconsistent performance is very hard to diagnose. Since a new drive is relatively inexpensive, I think it's worth going that route.

Instructions are in your owner's manual under Adding and Removing Parts. The only tip to remember is to make sure you set the drive jumper to cable select. Your system requires an IDE drive, not SATA. Here is a list of IDE DVD burners available from a reputable online vendor. You'll see deisgnations for "OEM" and "Retail". OEM means you get just the drive. Retail boxes include DVD burning software and a cable.

0 Kudos
LoriMVS
1 Copper

Re: CD/DVD Drive inconsistent...

Hi Osprey, I saw some refurbished drives for around $75 so I think you're right...just replacing it is the right thing to do.  thanks for the information and the clues as to how to install!!

0 Kudos