Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 20th, 2009 19:00

CD/DVD drives think they're -ROM and I can't burn CD or DVDs!

I have an XPS 400 and just solved a problem where neither drive would read a CD.  This was fixed by uninstalling service pack 3.  Now each drive can read discs, but can't record on either.  I looked in the properties and have the box check to enable CD recording.  I've also reinstalled each driver.  Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2009 05:00

Hi, Curtda:

Back again, huh?

Take a look at this article for ideas on why XP does not recognize your drive as a recordable device.

Also, keep in mind that XP can only perform recording on one of your drives. Once you designate CD recording on one drive, the other will be unselected. However, your burning software can use both drives.

13 Posts

May 24th, 2009 17:00

Hi Osprey4,

I am back again.  Thanks for your response!  I followed the regedit steps (changed the drives from 1 to 2.)  Now, I can burn CD-R!  However, I input a blank DVD-RW and I couldn't format the disc.  I looked up MS's suggestion and they said to make sure I had all the updates installed.  However, I had to un-install SP3 as both drives didn't have any -RW capabilities.  Should I reinstall SP3?  I don't want to make things worse than they already are!!

Curtda

10.9K Posts

May 24th, 2009 21:00

How are you trying to format the DVD-RW disc?
Are you using third-party software (i.e. Sonic,
Roxio, Nero, etc.) or the are you using the Windows
built-in burning software?

Windows XP will not recognize a blank DVD disc, thus
it cannot write to it for format it.  Windows XP has
no DVD writing capabilities.

To use blank DVDs with Windows XP, third-party software
is required.

13 Posts

May 30th, 2009 11:00

I was trying to format by using the right-click  drop down menu, but maybe you've explained why that doesn't work.  I back up Quicken with a DVD-RW and Quicken doesn't recognize the DVD when it's in the proper drive.  I thought the current DVD might be the problem, so tried a new blank DVD-RW and that is how I got to the format problem.  I'll try formating via Roxio.

Any other advice?

Thanks for your help!

10.9K Posts

May 30th, 2009 20:00

Roxio should work fine.  After formating the
disc it should act like a big floppy disc.
But keep in mind that that method of using
an optical disc is not the most reliable method.
Just make sure you do not use it as the sole
way for important files.

No Events found!