Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 18th, 2008 08:00

CD Drive Code 39 Error - NO FIX!

I am attempting to fix the Code 39 corrupt driver error for the Sony CDRW/DVD on a Dell Inspiron E1505.

I have been attempting this for over 3 weeks now with ZERO success. I have uninstalled all CD Drive software. I have removed all upper and lower filters from the registry, I uninstalled the drive and restarted, it still fails. I ran the dell diagnostic disc in the drive and it passes all test, NOTHING WORKS!

I downloaded the firmware from dell for the drive but cannot run it because the drive is not found.

3.7K Posts

November 18th, 2008 11:00

Have you tried this, it covers code 39. See link,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

5 Posts

November 19th, 2008 19:00

yeah, thanks for reading though. :emotion-5:

387 Posts

November 20th, 2008 00:00

Hi TurboGC8. :emotion-1: There are many causes for Code 39 errors so I'll give you a couple of things to try and if those don't work we can get a little deeper into it.

1) Download and run the Sony BMG Uninstaller. (This will remove any possible DRM installed when using Sony CDs)

2) Search for these 2 files using Windows Explorer (afs.sys or afs2k.sys) and if found rename them by adding a 1 right before the .sys (ex. afs1.sys). These are old Oak Technologies files that have been found to conflict with cdrom.sys (the CD-ROM driver).

Edit (2/11/09): I neglected to mention one thing that should be done prior to searching for the files mentioned in Step 2. AFS.SYS and AFS2K.SYS may be hidden files on your system so you will have to change the setting in Windows Explorer that allows you to view the hidden files and folders. There may also be files that are similar to the two that I've listed here but these two have been seen to cause problems a number of times. Here is a link that explains how to change the setting in Windows XP.

For Windows Vista, open Windows Explorer (click Start | Computer) and then near the upper left-hand corner of Windows Explorer, click Organize | Folder and Search Options and choose the View tab. Under Advanced Settings, click the circle next to Show hidden files and folders and then click the OK button to save the setting and close the window (Note: It is not necessary to click the Apply button unless you want to see the changes before closing the window.)

For Windows XP and Windows Vista:  It is a good idea to go back in and change the setting back to Do not show hidden files and folders using the same method for the applicable version of Windows when troubleshooting is complete.

(End 2/11/09 edit)

------------------------------------------

Don't worry about installing the firmware. It is usually used only for specific issues and I've seen more cases where a failed firmware update has fried the drive than cases where the firmware has helped.

I may have missed it in your posts but also let us know what version of Windows that you are using if/when you post back.

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 14:00

thank you so much, this worked and fixed the problem!!

The uninstaller fixed the problema and neither of those 2 files were even found on the computer.

Thank You!! great help.

1 Message

November 22nd, 2008 16:00

Hey,

I'm having the same problem.

I have an Inspiron 6400 and the CD/DVD is a TSSTcorp DVD+RW TS-L532B (that's what it says in the hardware manager).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 14:00

Try these 3 different things:

1 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

2 - Download and run the Sony BMG Uninstaller. (This will remove any possible DRM installed when using Sony CDs)

3 - Search for these 2 files using Windows Explorer (afs.sys or afs2k.sys) and if found rename them by adding a 1 right before the .sys (ex. afs1.sys). These are old Oak Technologies files that have been found to conflict with cdrom.sys (the CD-ROM driver).

4 - Use the Dell Diagnostic CD Disc that came with your computer and run your dell diagnostic test on the cd drive, sometimes the hardware is just broken.

387 Posts

November 28th, 2008 23:00

TurboGC8, I'm glad that was able to fix your drive issue. My next suggestion would be to look through your CDs for any that are distributed by Sony/BMG because it sounds like that was the likely cause for the error code (#39) that you received and also because it may occur when another Sony/BMG CD is played. When you play certain CDs from Sony/BMG files will be installed that are related to copy protection and these files can cause issues with the optical drives (CD/DVD), apparently keeping cdrom.sys from loading properly. The Oak Technologies issue is less common but is known to cause similar issues related to the loading of cdrom.sys.

I would rearrange the troubleshooting order a bit only because I'm more reluctant to make changes to the registry, as suggested in the Microsoft article. Another reason being that the MS article suggests uninstalling/reinstalling all burning software which, if the Sony/BMG or the Oak Technologies issues are the cause, shouldn't be necessary. Deletion of the Filter registry entries will remove the burning ability of software designed for that purpose. So I would try the Sony/BMG and Oak Technologies checks as the first two options and then consider the removal of the filters. The Dell Diagnostics program is very handy for determining whether something is physically wrong with the drive(s).

cdn_rob, were you able to fix your drive(s) using the suggestions given?

1 Message

November 29th, 2008 11:00

Thank you so very much. I was at my wits end. Had the Geek Squad in here and said I need a new computer. Your fix worked in seconds.

panfish4

387 Posts

November 29th, 2008 12:00

Had the Geek Squad in here and said I need a new computer.

I didn't know GS was working on commission. :emotion-2:

Your fix worked in seconds.

Which fix was it, panfish4? If it was the Sony/BMG fix be sure to read my previous post in this thread about additional things to check. I'm glad to hear that your system is working correctly again.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2008 08:00

Hello Williamkidd, you seem to be a good help here so i was wondering if you would help me with my problem. I have an Inspiron 530. I am having a problem with my disk drive, HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N ATA Device. I am getting a Code 39 error saying that the driver may be corrupted or missing, any idea what i should do?

1 Message

December 8th, 2008 11:00

Hi Oglog40,  I am having the very same problem with my Inspiron 531 with a H31N ATA.  I can open my CD tray manually, but in OS, it has completely disappeared.  Not sure exactly what caused the problem, but may have had something to do with this incident.  I did a "shut-down" of the computer and as it was closing, I realized the disc tray was still partially open (about 1 inch or so).  Without thinking, I manually forced the tray shut.  I immeately realzed I shouldn't have done that, so I rebooted and then pressed the open door button beside the drive  It opened OK so assumed everything was alright.  Several days later I inserted a disc, but it wouln'd start up.  Went into Computer and the entire "E" drive missing.   Did you do the same thing?  If you did and find a solution, could you please post.  I will do the same.

387 Posts

December 8th, 2008 13:00

@Oglog40, have you tried the tried the two possible fixes in the Solution post above? Code 39 is a driver error message that could mean something is conflicting with cdrom.sys (the driver for the CD/DVD drive) or that cdrom.sys itself has become corrupted. I would suggest trying those first two possible fixes first if you haven't already. If they didn't work, let me know and I can suggest some other possible solutions.

@Davey D., your issue sounds a little bit different. It's possible that cdrom.sys (the driver that makes the CD/DVD drive work) may have become corrupted during the shutdown. Does the drive show up in Device Manager (inside Control Panel)? I would assume that it's not because it's not showing up in Windows Explorer. But if it is let us know if it shows an error code. If not, there are a few different ways to replace the driver including the use of a backup file on your hard drive.

In both of your cases, when you post back please include the version of Windows that you are using so that any further instructions can be given for that particular operating system.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2008 12:00

What happend to me was i re-installed my operating systems and everything and a few of my drivers were missing once it was done. My network driver was also missing. The Cd/DVD driver was working at first but i tryed to install Roxio and it messed up some how. I will keep a look out for a solution.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2008 13:00

Yes, i did try the first fixes. The sony bmg one wouldnt let me download my computer neatalizes it as a virus, and the afs did not work

5 Posts

December 12th, 2008 17:00

Hi, this is my first time and I'm having the same problem as Davey D. I have a Dimension E521, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor. The OS is Windows Vista. I went into "Computer" and the E drive is gone, I checked "Device Mgr" and it shows the CD Rom but with an exclaimation mark. I clicked on it and the window that opened said "Windows could not find hardware" Error 39. I don't know what happened or why it's gone. As I'm not an expert on computers, I can get by most of the time. I had a HP for 6yrs and was able to fix most problems myself. This is the first time with Dell so any help would be greatly appreicated. Thank you

No Events found!