Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 18th, 2008 08:00

CD Drive Code 39 Error - NO FIX!

I am attempting to fix the Code 39 corrupt driver error for the Sony CDRW/DVD on a Dell Inspiron E1505.

I have been attempting this for over 3 weeks now with ZERO success. I have uninstalled all CD Drive software. I have removed all upper and lower filters from the registry, I uninstalled the drive and restarted, it still fails. I ran the dell diagnostic disc in the drive and it passes all test, NOTHING WORKS!

I downloaded the firmware from dell for the drive but cannot run it because the drive is not found.

1 Message

December 20th, 2008 12:00

Wow!!  I have also been having the same code 39 error message since October, have searched many forums spent countless hours trying registry fixes to no avail. 

I was about to try and return my dell deminsion E310 back to original factory settings when I decided to check this community one last time and ran across the SONY uninstaller fix.  I tried it and WOW it works.  I now have full function of my dvd drive. 

Thanks to everyone here.

1 Message

February 9th, 2009 10:00

Hello, I could really use your help.  I have a Dell Studio 1535 Windows Vista Home Edition, my cd/dvd drive (TSST corp DVD+ -RW TS- T633A) is also coming up with this error message:  "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".  My laptop is brand new, I got it less than a week ago, and it all of a sudden stopped working 2 days ago.

I have tried all of the steps that you have listed above with no luck.  Is there anything else I can do to get this corrected?  Your help is greatly appreciated! :emotion-1:

387 Posts

February 10th, 2009 22:00

I was about to try and return my dell deminsion E310 back to original factory settings when I decided to check this community one last time and ran across the SONY uninstaller fix.  I tried it and WOW it works.  I now have full function of my dvd drive. 

Thanks to everyone here.

Sparelanes, I know it's been a while since you posted this but I want to thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that you were able to fix your drive issue with one of the fixes listed here. I know what a hassle it can be to restore a system to its' original settings and I'm glad that we were able to help you avoid that. Be sure to check your discs to see if any were distributed by Sony BMG and if you get a chance please let us know what you think the disc may have been that caused the problem. Keep in mind that if you play another BMG disc in your drive that you may have to use the same procedure to fix it. You're welcome. :emotion-1:

387 Posts

February 15th, 2009 09:00

@wall143

The first thing that I would suggest is for you to take a second look at the solution post in this thread (the one outlined in blue) as I made some changes the other day that could make a difference on your search results.

The next thing to do if that doesn't solve the issue is to find out if you installed a program that in turn installed a driver that interferes with cdrom.sys (the driver for your cd/dvd drive). You posted on 2/9 saying that it stopped working two days prior so you'll want to look at any programs that you may have installed around 2/6, 2/7, or anywhere in the week prior to 2/9. One way to check the programs that you have installed is to use a part of Windows Vista called the Reliability Monitor. Below I've listed the steps for checking that information.

How to determine installed programs using Reliability Monitor (Vista)

1) Click Start and type perfmon in the Search box (the one that says Start Search), then press Enter.

2) If the User Account Control (UAC) window appears, press Continue. The Reliability and Performance Monitor window should appear.

3) On the left-hand side of the new window, you'll see a folder called Monitoring Tools. If you do not see Performance Monitor and Reliability Monitor listed below the Monitoring Tools folder, click the little arrow to the left of the Monitoring Tools folder.

4) Click the Reliability Monitor and you will see a graph listed on the right-hand side of the window. The graph gives information about a few different things but we are interested in Software (Un)Installs which shows both installs and uninstalls of software on your system.

5) You should see alternating gray and white vertical lines in the graph and each line represents a day. Every other day is marked below the graph and if software is installed or uninstalled on a particular day it will show a white icon with a blue i inside (this is an informational icon). What you'll want to do is look in the graph for any of those informational icons that correspond to the week before 2/9. When you click on the graph for a day that includes an informational icon the information in the System Stability Chart (below the graph) will change to show you what happened on that particular day. In this case the information will show up in the System Stability Chart in the section entitled Software (Un)Installs for XX/XX/XXXX, where the X's represent the date that you have chosen in the graph. So take a look to see if there was anything that you installed during that time period and post it here.

3 Posts

March 27th, 2009 23:00

Hi,

I had the same problem and nothing helped but then I finally found the solution, maybe it will work for you. go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/ and click on fix it.  Follow the download directions and thats it. It fixed mine in 3-4 seconds. Let me know if it worked.

3 Posts

March 31st, 2009 13:00

Hi,

I had the same problem and nothing helped but then I finally found the solution, maybe it will work for you. go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/ and click on fix it.  Follow the download directions and thats it. It fixed mine in 3-4 seconds. Let me know if it worked.

That worked 1st try for me.

3 Posts

March 31st, 2009 14:00

Hello,

I had the same problem and tried everything I could thing of, then I found this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/ , and it fixed it in seconds. I shared it with someone else on this site and it helped them too; maybe it will help you. when you get to the site just click on "fix it" and follow the directions.

Let me know if it worked.

1 Message

May 8th, 2009 16:00

Big Props to you tata!! My DVD drive disapeared overnight and of course in checking Device Manager, I had Code 39.  Couldn't get it fixed at all until I stumbled onto the site  and your link to MS. Fixed it up good as new. Thanks again for the link

3 Posts

May 8th, 2009 17:00

WOW ! :emotion-3:thank you so much. I really appreciate the props:emotion-2:. that was my first post and I'm glad it helped someone. Again, thank you and God bless:emotion-5:.    Tata...

1 Message

June 9th, 2009 12:00

I worked like a charm. Thank you Robin,

Richard

4 Posts

October 18th, 2009 18:00

Thank you so much for the Sony BMG Uninstaller fix.  I have been trying to fix my daughter's DVD-ROM drive for hours on end trying all of the things suggested here to no avail.  I knew that the drive wasn't dead because I swapped another one in and got the same error messages.  Once I ran the Sony uninstaller, the drive was instantly recognized by Windows upon reboot and works like a charm.  Ironically, I knew for years that the Sony rootkit was on my daughter's computer and intended to download and run the uninstaller but we never got around to it and there didn't appear to be any problems with her machine.  I had no idea that it could bring the DVD drive to a complete halt.  It seems that many people with this error code are having success with the standard fix from the Windows Support page, but if that doesn't work, make sure to follow step 1 above--that was definitely the issue for me.

Thanks again.

No Events found!