Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2012 18:00

CD Drive stopped working in my Dell Inspiron N5110

When I got up this am my laptop would no longer read any disc. It was reading a game last night. I shut down normally. And there were no new updates or any changes since then. But now it will not read any disc? Ive run different things and none are coming up with any driver related issues? Any help is much appreciated

2 Posts

July 18th, 2012 21:00

I ran the fix it. and it didnt see anything wrong with the drive.  and wanted 40$ to fix the other problems.

803 Posts

July 18th, 2012 21:00

Hello Danikaj

Welcome to the Community.

Please run the MS fix it application using this link:

support.microsoft.com/.../cd_dvd_drive_problems

Check if the DVD drive letter is visible in My Computer and in Device Manager.

You can also run a Custom Scan on the drive if you have installed Dell Support Center on the system. You can install Dell Support Center using this link:

www.dell.com/.../dsc_home

Kindly reply with the results.

803 Posts

July 18th, 2012 22:00

Hi Danikaj,

Microsoft fix it is a free software to check problems with DVD drive or any other components. What promoted you to pay $40 could be some other 3rd party software.

Please open Device Manager and check under DVD drive if you see a yellow exclamation mark.  Update the DVD drive firmware from  the Dell Support Site. The system should be installed with a TSST drive or PLDS drive. (Enter the service tag and choose the operating system to narrow down the search for correct firmware).

Use PC Check up in the Dell Support Center and run a custom scan on the DVD drive.

Kindly reply with the results.

No Events found!