Highlighted
CJkanz
1 Copper

CD-ROM and CDRW/DVD problems.

I have a DIMENSION E310.  Yesterday I downloaded iTunes and suddenly lost my CD and CDRW/DVD drives.  I go into the Device Manager and for both drives I get the following message:

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)  Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

It says that I must have unplugged them but I did not.  My desktop has not moved for sometime and I have not opened it either.  I have tried everything I know about updating the drivers and am now at a loss as to what to do next.  Can someone please help?  The dives are listed as follows;

LITE-ON CD-ROM LTN-489S

HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4482

Again, the problems happened after I installed iTunes.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: CD-ROM and CDRW/DVD problems.

Hi, CJkanz:

This problem can be solved by deleting the upper and lower filters. The procedure is listed in the CD/DVD FAQ under "code 39 error". This is a common problem when installing iTunes.

0 Kudos
CJkanz
1 Copper

I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
CJkanz
1 Copper

It worked!  Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Bullitt7
1 Copper

Hi Guy,

I have the same problem that CJkanz had but I don't know how to get to the registry and I'm not too confident going there.  Can you send me some explicit info on how to do what error 39 says.  I would be very thankful.

You can email me at   I only have 72 hours on this account.     

Thanks aging.

<Admin Note: Email removed due to privacy policy>

0 Kudos
Skybird
5 Iridium

What Operating System do you have on your system?  Is it Windows XP?

0 Kudos
Bullitt7
1 Copper

yes and it's an E310 box

0 Kudos
Skybird
5 Iridium

This Microsoft article should resolve the issue. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

However, if you feel uncomfortable following the
instructions, you can use this article here ....

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=106

At the bottom of the page below the picture where
is says "- Download" you can run the utility. The
utility does what the Microsoft Article does.

0 Kudos

Hi Osprey, I was browsing the forums and saw this thread and hope maybe you can help me as well.  My stiuation is similar, but not exact to the person you just assisted.  I have the Dimension E510 desktop, windows XP and I did NOT just install Itunes, therefore NO error 39.  What I did do though, was to go to Itunes and start a very mundane task, to burn a CD for my little sister, a task I do so very often.  It froze, and for some reason, would not detect the drive.  I then thought, maybe there's an issue with the new version of Itunes, 8.2.1, and proceeded to go and download the latest Windows Media Player,  Expressburn,  Nero, and SwiftDisk as well, all reputable software according to CNET.  None of them worked, all stating that they couldn't find a drive.  Last ditch effort, I came here, after checking my device manager, seeing that there was no wierd little yellow question mark on my CD/DVD drive ( TSSTcorp TS-H492C) that usually means that the drive is not being read or is not functioning correctly, promptly came to Dell downloads, looked for an updated driver, thinking that this must be the issue, and that d-loading the newest version of the driver would just wipe out the issue.  Once again, left dissapointed.  So, sorry for the epic journey, just wanted to fill you in on the entire labyrinth that I maneuvred through.  Please let me know if this is a simple and frequent issue.  Have you seen this before?  I hope that you have.  Thanks in advance for any and all help you may offer.  Best, Michael

0 Kudos