Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2013 07:00

CD-ROM drivers not working missing part of PLDS DVD+RW DS-8A8SH

my laptop DELL INSPIRON N5040 has been fine up until the day my warrante ran out i(i've had it just over a year) when it suddenly stopped running properly, i restored it to factory setting!

NOW my CD drive does not work AT ALL..... id rather not have to revert back to factory setting yet again as its a pain having to back everything up to my external hard drive and then try and get it back again

I get this message in the device settings

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

does anyone know where i can get this driver from or what i can do to fix it?

i should also mention that i have tried re installing the driver and using the troubleshoot auto fix neither of these have worked

6 Posts

i have just tried 'fix it' and that came up with nothing.... in fact it told me to unplug my removable device and plug it back in again below is the troubleshoot report

Print
Devices and Printers
Publisher details
Issues found
PLDS DVD+-RW DS-8A8SH has a driver problem
There is a problem with the driver for PLDS DVD+-RW DS-8A8SH. The driver needs to be reinstalled.
Not fixed
Not Fixed
Reinstall device driver
Completed
Problem with PnP devices
Problem with PnP devices
There are problems with some PnP devices. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot these devices.
Detected
Detected
Potential issues that were checked
Windows Update configured to never install drivers
Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows Update.
Issue not present
Issues found
Detection details
Not fixed
Not Fixed
There is a problem with the driver for PLDS DVD+-RW DS-8A8SH. The driver needs to be reinstalled.
Informational
Device information
Name: PLDS DVD+-RW DS-8A8SH
ID: IDE\CDROMPLDS_DVD+-RW_DS-8A8SH___________________KD11____\4&816039F&0&0.1.0
Error code: 19
Reinstall device driver
Completed
There is a problem with the driver for PLDS DVD+-RW DS-8A8SH. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem.
Problem with PnP devices
Detected
Detected
There are problems with some PnP devices. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot these devices.
Potential issues that were checked
Detection details
Issue not present
Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows Update.
Detection details
Expand
Collection information
Computer Name: BOBALINA
Windows Version:
Architecture:
amd64
Time:
Friday, May 10, 2013 5:10:03 PM
Publisher details
Expand
Devices and Printers
Troubleshoot problems with devices and printers.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Corporation
Devices and Printers
Troubleshoot problems with devices and printers.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Corporation
Hardware and Devices
Use hardware and access devices connected to your computer.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows
Windows Network Diagnostics
Detects problems with network connectivity.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows
Printer
Troubleshoot problems preventing printing from completing.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows
USB
Troubleshoot problems with a USB device
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Corporation

2.6K Posts

Hi csckay328,

I would like you to try the below mentioned steps:

Try to eject the optical drive in BIOS. Please start the computer and press F2 on the Dell splash screen to enter BIOS. Try to eject the optical drive when the system is in BIOS and if the optical drive is not ejecting, follow the next step.

Run Dell 32 Bit Dell Diagnostics on Optical drive.to run the test please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Switch on the computer, tap F12 at dell logo to enter “One-time boot menu”.
  2. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight “Diagnostics” and press enter.
  3. Select Custom Test and select “Optical drive”.
  4. If the test fails, please capture the error code and let me know for the next course of action.

Try the above steps and reply with results.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 9th, 2013 16:00

Hi csckay328,

If the diagnostics check out, then please run the manual registry procedure to fix your code 19 error. Go to this page and scroll down to find the "Let me fix it myself" instructions.

6 Posts

May 10th, 2013 10:00

@osprey4 i have tried this already and it didnt fix anything

6 Posts

May 10th, 2013 10:00

@DELL-Nikhil D, all tests passed but drive is still not working

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 10th, 2013 12:00

Above you said you ran the Fit-It utility. Fix-it should report (1) whether there is a problem, and (2) what was or wasn't done to try to fix the problem. Tell me what you saw.

There are times when Fix-it finds a problem but cannot make the needed registry edits. For that, you have to run the manual procedure I linked to. If you did run the manual procedure, tell me what you saw or what you were able to do.

6 Posts

May 10th, 2013 16:00

@osprey4 it just said that it failed to re-install the driver, i will try it again tomorrow and see if anything different comes up. also on the device status it says: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 11th, 2013 04:00

The registry error points to the upper and lower filter problem. The solution is to edit the registry manually according to the instructions I linked to above.

6 Posts

May 11th, 2013 15:00

@osprey4 i have attempted this before creating the post, it was unsuccessful, it says the driver needs to be reinstalled, which has been completed but that the problem with the drive has not been fixed

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 13th, 2013 05:00

It's not clear that you ran the manual registry edit procedure. 

Windows 7 or Windows Vista

1. Click Start
    Start button
    , and then click All Programs.
  2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
  3. Type regedit, and then click OK
    User Access Control permission
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. ClickUpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
  9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  11. Exit Registry Editor.
  12. Restart the computer.

Now go to the "More Information" section.

1 Message

September 16th, 2013 13:00

Thank you so much for these instructions! I had the exact same problem with inspiron n5110. I followed the steps and now my cd dvd player is back. Thanks again.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 16th, 2013 17:00

Hi PCClemency,

Excellent. Glad to hear those instructions helped! :emotion-1:

December 27th, 2013 04:00

Thank You so much sir, I've too benefited on the information you gave. I was impressed. but still the problem of device manager exists. it's denoting another problem of unknown device. plz tell me that ' does this cause any problem in future.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 27th, 2013 12:00

Hi Shiva India,

The unknown device could be anything. Are any of your devices not functioning properly?

December 27th, 2013 18:00

hello sir. It was my fault only and i repaired it. and I experienced the blue screen error once using the laptop next to your prescribed operation. does it do any harmful probs.

No Events found!