Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2011 20:00

CD-ROM not reading a perfectly good disk

Hey, I want to revert back to Windows Vista from Windows 7 and I can't do it because my CD-ROM isn't working. I installed Windows 7 and my cousin thinks it's probably on an account of when i installed Windows 7, the specific driver for the CD-ROM isn't installed with it, even though he never inspected it in person...  Any specs on the computer you need just tell me where to find them (I don't know squat about computers), or if you know about the problem and know where I can install the driver please post a link. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I have the installation disk for Windows Vista with me ready to go. All's I need is for the CD-ROM to work.

P.S.S. By "CD-ROM" I mean the thing that pops out and you put disks in there, Like games, CD's ect.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 7th, 2011 03:00

The exact same default Windows driver is installed in Vista as Windows 7.  There are no extra or 3rd party drivers for CD or DVD drives.   If the CD drive is having problems in Windows 7 it will likely have the same problem in Vista.   If you are installing from a Disc, Windows and Windows CD drivers are not used, the basic system and drivers built into the Windows installation disc are used during install as you boot from the Disc. 

We may be able to help with the problem, but we need to know the PC Model Number.  Also more info than "it doesn't work".  For example go to the Device Manager and report what the status for the CD (or DVD) drive is, either an error code (such as 39) or if shows it's "working properly".  

As you installed Windows 7, did you properly install with all the required drivers including the motherboard chipset drivers?  An incomplete install can affect operation of hardware devices.

3 Posts

December 7th, 2011 14:00

I went to the Device Manager and clicked DVD/CD-ROM drives, I then clicked what was there, TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F ATA Device and VUFEVEH VK1YB8X SCSI CdRom Device.  Also i don't know where to pc number is located.

Also i've been getting this pop up saying "windows is it genuine" and i looked it up and it said that means you have an illegal  copy of it, I got it from a friend. Could that be a reason?

3 Posts

December 7th, 2011 14:00

BTW both of the said it was working correctly

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 7th, 2011 16:00

The "rogue" copy of Windows is one problem and we can't help you with that.  

In the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry for one of the drives and then LEFT "Uninstall".  Do the same for the other drive then restart the PC and when Windows starts it will detect and reinstall the drivers.  This may take care of the problem in Windows.

No Events found!