Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 18th, 2004 21:00

CD-RW problem

OK.  I'm extremely frustrated!  I got my new Dell PC last February.  Everything's been working fine, but suddenly, my CD-RW thinks it's just a CD-R.  I can burn CD's, on CD-R and CD-RW discs, but I cannot re-write on the RW's, and when I right-click on the drive icon under My Computer, the "format" choice doesn't even exist any more!

I've gone through Dell's tech support via phone and email several times, and all they seem to want me to do is a System Restore.  Problem there is, the furthest date back that I can do that is after the problem started.

I would like to re-install the driver, but there doesn't seem to be a driver for this device on the Resource CD.

I also went to the Dell.com web site and looked for the driver there.  After typing in my Service Tag, the list of CD-RW's for my machine does NOT include the drive that came with my PC!

According to the Device Manager via My Computer, the drive is an HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B.  When I key that in via Google, I'm only pointed back to Dell and HP web sites, neither of which have drivers.

HELP??!!

Michael

15.3K Posts

April 18th, 2004 22:00

Sorry for the cut Mike, typing way too slow.. not feeling well..went all winter clean as whistle but trying to come down with the Flu in the Spring.....

Hi Michael,

The "drivers" are generic to your Operating System. Click on the Cd/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 15, article 1.
You may wish to use Dell`s article on "Clearing the NVRAM" as well. Same CD/RW link, Section 11, article 2.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 04-18-2004 07:31 PM

10.9K Posts

April 18th, 2004 22:00

Michael,

The correct driver is the generic one installed by the operating system.
Uninstall the drive in the Device Manager and then reboot so the
operating system will reinstall the drive and see if that helps.

21 Posts

April 19th, 2004 10:00

Tried that (meant to mention it in my post, guess I forgot. 

Thanks anyway.

Michael

21 Posts

April 19th, 2004 10:00

Thanks.  I'll give that a shot.

Michael

21 Posts

April 20th, 2004 00:00

Well, I read your article, but I had already done what it suggested...twice.

I am very frustrated by Dell's "Award Winning Support" services!  Every time I send an email or respond to one of their replies, it's as if they aren't reading my entire emails to them.  They pick and choose certain words and phrases and address them, rather then the whole problem

It seems simple...my CD-RW just started acting like a CD-R.  No more format options, no more ability to back up any of my files I regularly back up.

I just want someone to hear that I know what the problem is, they understand what the problem is, and they know how to fix it.  And if they can't fix it, send me a new drive to replace the old one!

OK...I'll quit ranting now.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

No Events found!