Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2009 06:00

CD disk drive won't open

I put a CD in the disk drive and it won't re-open.  Any suggestions?

3.7K Posts

May 17th, 2009 03:00

Hi Also to what dave5 said, There should be an small hole in front of the drive, straighten out an paper clip and use that to open the drawer.

1.3K Posts

May 16th, 2009 07:00

Some software will lock the tray. Check settings on your "Burning software, (Read/Write to CD/DVD), or anyother software that deals with Optical drives.

June 14th, 2009 11:00

Thanks so much to Robin - I made sure to join the "Dell Community" just to thank you - my E drive was stuck midway through a burning session.  The paperclip trick came to my rescue - thanks again.   ML

3.7K Posts

June 14th, 2009 13:00

Hi, And Thankyou, have fun 

1 Message

June 4th, 2012 13:00

You are a genious!!!  I have tried everything and this pin thing worked like a charm!  You are a true genious and I am not worthy!

2 Posts

December 20th, 2012 18:00

This Paper Clip thing isn't wurkin' 4 me du u hav anythang else 4 me

2 Posts

December 20th, 2012 18:00

nope

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 20th, 2012 21:00

Hi zmoney6,

I would like to know if you have a laptop or a desktop.

I assume that you have tried to eject the optical drive through windows explorer. Have tried to eject the drive while being in the system BIOS? If not, follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Restart the system and tap F2 key at Dell logo.
  2. System will enter the BIOS.
  3. Try to Eject the optical drive.

If issue persists, the optical drive needs to be replaced. If the computer is under warranty, I would be glad to arrange a service on the computer.
Check warranty status: http://dell.to/zEE2Cm

Please provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services.

If the warranty on the computer has expired, below link would help you in contacting expired warranty services (this is for US based customers):

http://dell.to/4LOBWi

Awaiting your response.

1 Message

November 8th, 2013 22:00

wow!! I have been fighting with my CD Drive for months and finally the paper clip method worked!!  you are awsome!!

January 21st, 2018 16:00

Paper clip in hole will not open it.

Next...

9 Posts

July 12th, 2018 10:00

I don't see the hole

1 Message

December 14th, 2018 23:00

The almost invisible tiny hole. I would have never figured that out.  

No Events found!