Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

August 2nd, 2012 14:00

CD drive ain't workin' so good...

Have a Dell Inspiron 530 and it would seem the CD drive is acting a little awkward.  Couple things.  If I put a disc in, sometimes it reads it, sometimes it don't.  Gives "insert disc" even though there be one in there.  Actually, if it helps, most of the time it has more trouble detecting already burned CDs and the like than with retail music CDs.  And, more recently if I set up a list of music to burn to disc, it either gets halfway and then I get some sort of "can't continue" error or it just can't burn at all?  So, what up?  Drive dying, bad drivers, something else gummed up?  Not sure what kind of drive it is, just the original installed CD drive.  Help!  Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 14:00

Hi IMJ,

Welcome to the Community.

I understand your concern wherein I see that you have problem reading cd or DVDs and burning them.

Please run the autofix tool in the link below and check for the issue.

http://bit.ly/frsRjm

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Ravi_Chandra

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

10.9K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 15:00

IMJ,

It appears the drive may be failing due to a weak laser.  Test the drive.  Run the Dell Diagnostics.  The Diagnostics should be on your hard drive.  Press F12 at startup while the blue Dell is on the screen.  This will take you to the boot menu where the Utility Partition or Diagnostics will be a choice.  Run the Custom Test for the drive and have a data CD or DVD (not music CD or movie DVD) in the drive for the read test.

20 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 16:00

Well, tried that.  Actually before I tried that, I noticed the drive wouldn't eject the disc that was in it.  Ran the diagnostic you suggested and it couldn't find the drive at all.  In fact, the drive letter disappeared from 'my computer'.  After rebooting the computer several times, I ran the diagnostic again and it said to unplug the drive and replug, which  I did.  This worked to get the drive at least back online, the 'D' came back, and the diagnositc was able to identify the drive.  Woo!  So, took out the disc and ran the diagnostic again and it said no problems detected for reading a disc but when I ran the 'burn or write to disc' option, it hit me back and said the drive is incapable of writing to disc.  Ah, but it is capable - or at least was.  Now what?  Thoughts?

20 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 16:00

Custom test?  Where's that? D'oh, nevermind.  Okay, so, 'Device Quick Test' check, "Read Test' check, 'Seek Test' check, 'Built In Self Test' check.  All tests passed!  So...what now?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 17:00

Hi IMJ,

Did you run the read test with a CD or DVD disc in the drive?

20 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 18:00

I actually tried several discs I thought were data and each time the test told me to try again so I finally inserted a program disc.  So guess that'd be a CD.

10.9K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 20:00

It could be that the laser is weak and in time may fail.  You might consider replacing the drive.  If you have a warranty, Dell will replace it.  Otherwise, your system uses any standard SATA optical drive and they cost about $20 or so.  

20 Posts

Yes, it read the disc and all the different parts for the Custom Test passed.  All was a-okay.  But that doesn't help me as the drive still is being pesky.

10.9K Posts

Yes, a program disc is a data disc.  Did the Diagnostics Read Test read that disc and pass, or did it not read that disc?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 05:00

I agree with Skybird. Replace the drive. Pesky drives are not worth the trouble.

20 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 08:00

Sigh.  Well, I suppose there's a first for everything, right?  Believe it or not, every computer I've ever owned has never given me grief, some over 12 years strong.  So sad.  Okay, so howsabout giving with some opinions on possible replacement drives.  It should be just a stock CD/DVD R/RW drive.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

10.9K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 09:00

Any standard SATA drive will work well.  Some suggestions with user ratings are here ........... www.newegg.com/.../SubCategory.aspx

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 7th, 2012 08:00

Hi IMJ,

I have been following the threads by Skybird & osprey4 and i agree with them. However, I would also add one more step. Please try booting the computer using the Operating system cd’s provided by dell and check.

If your computer is in warranty you can send me the Service tag in the private message so that I could take up your issue further or you can go with the new drive for your computer in the outside market.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Ravi_Chandra

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

No Events found!