I have a Dimension 2400 with only 30GB of memory, and i was wondering if i could put the 160 GB 7200 RPM Internal Parallel ATA Hard Drive into it?(Dell says it's for a networking computer)
1) Don't buy the hard drive from Dell unless the price is good. A 160gb drive should be $40 or so after rebates.
2) A 160 may be a Maxtor. If so, don't buy it.
3) You have 30gb of hard disk, not memory. It's different.
4) Your 2400, if your Windows disk says SP1, SP1a, or SP2 on it can use a boot drive of any size.
5) Your 2500 can add a 2nd drive with a bracket, link on my site. That's the easiest thing to do unless your 30gb drive failed.
With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...