Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2011 06:00

Can't get bios on L702x XPS laptop to recognize that I have installed a 2nd drive.

Hi:

I have installed a 2nd drive on my laptop, but when I hit F2 to go into the bios, it won't allow me any options of changing the setup to indicate that there is any second drive.  Can anyone say what I might be doing wrong, or is there something with Dell's setup that is pre-programmed not to allow me to install a 2nd drive?

I keep thinking maybe I installed it wrong such that the connectors didn't fully mesh, since it seemed a bit of a chore to get it in, but I did try to follow the process of screwing it into the bracket and then screwing the bracket into the computer.  The drive seemed to be in the way it should be.

jl

46 Posts

June 16th, 2011 14:00

Hi everyone:

The answer was that I had not connected the 2nd hard drive properly in the laptop.  I had screwed it into the metal frame and screwed the frame into the laptop and attempted to push the hard drive in, but the connection was not made properly.  When we (I stopped by Best Buy) tried putting the hard drive in by itself, it seemed to sit better, and they tested the hd separately and verified it worked and formatted it, and then we screwed it into the frame and made sure that when we installed it into the laptop the connection was proper.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 11th, 2011 09:00

Try the new drive in place of the original.  If it's not detected there, the drive is likely DOA.

46 Posts

June 11th, 2011 09:00

I am not anxious to do this, as this will involve disrupting (removing, if only temporarily)) the original factory setup of my OS drive.  Further, the indication in the bios is that I have no ability to change anything (anything at all) in that section of the bios other than the date and time.  This tells me that maybe there is something about the dell setup that is inhibiting this matter entirely separately from anything having to do with the drive.

I'm not saying your suggestion isn't potentially helpful.  I am just saying I will wait a bit before I try this to see if I get any other suggestions, particularly in the area of helping me understand what I am seeing in the bios.

I do have another non-DEll laptop in which I might try it, although I don't know what sorts of drives that takes.  Unfortunately, it took me nearly an hour just to get the drive in there (those small screws are not designed for middle-aged eyes) and so this is another delaying aspect.  The drive is a samsung 128 GB.

46 Posts

June 11th, 2011 10:00

Hi

the point about the original is that it is entirely happy where it is, and I am not inclined to mess with it, touch it, remove it, install it, fiddle with it, lose the screws that keep it in, dent it, etc., unless I absolutely have to.

I will worry about that in a day or two.

Again, it is possible that I just didn't push hard enough or something in installing the 2nd drive.  (and if that doubt is there, it is an additional reason for me to avoid messing with my 1st drive, which at this point is my entire computer life, while the 2nd drive is a meaningless potential addition).

I'll wait to see if I get a few more answers as to why the BIOS gives no indication of any ability to change anything other than date and time, in that part of the bios.  There are various other things outside of the 1st and 2nd hard drive where the bios also gives no indication of any control.  At some point, I'll probably also call support, and-or try my drive not in place of the first drive, but in my spare/old laptop.

They are both solid state drives, one is a 256 GB samsung SSD that came with the laptop, the other is a 128 GB SSD Samsung that I bought from one of the online retailers this week.  I do understand that a drive can arrive DOA, but that is only one of several possibilities at this point.

jl

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 11th, 2011 10:00

The BIOS won't allow any changes unless the system senses the drive.  If you're worried about the integrity of the original, you can accomplish the same check by trying to install the new drive in place of the original.   If it's not sensed there, then the drive is defective.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 11th, 2011 11:00

The BIOS doesn't give any indication because it doesn't sense the drive.   By all means, recheck the connection - but if it's then still not found, I would suggest testing it before taking the next step - requesting an RMA for the drive.

You will only be able to call Dell for support if you purchased the drive from Dell -- otherwise, they'll tell you you have to pay for a support call.

46 Posts

June 11th, 2011 12:00

thanks, I appreciate the further clarifications.  I am a slow-learner on some scores, and over the years I have found it best therefore to take this into account when I do these types of repairs and upgrades, taking into account for example that I have to have as a top priority a fully working computer over the next few days at nearly all times.

One option if I can swing it next week will be to take this to Best Buy and ask the Geek Squad what they think.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 11th, 2011 14:00

If you're looking for troubleshooting, find a good, local computer shop - not one of the national chains.  There, you stand a good chance of having someone competent at least know where to look.

With anything but basic repairs, Best Buy will send the system out to a large repair depot in Tennessee -- the "Expertise" you'll find in store will be severely lacking.

2 Posts

June 18th, 2011 08:00

Problem with your dell laptop (and mine also) is simply that has bad design for hdd connection.

It is not possible to make hdd fits perfect. There is no perfect connection of hdd and controler - there is allways small gap between them. You cannot push hdd to fit completlly because of bad design- some plastic is preventing HDD to fit 100% in. I dont know how dell made such big mistake in that laptop....

46 Posts

June 18th, 2011 13:00

Hello mladendu:

Glad to see this comment.  This helps re-affirm that "it wasn't just me".  From what little I could tell, I do tend to agree, they should take a look at the design and ask if they could make it harder to mis-install or mis-align the hard drive.  I had the Best Buy Geek Squad guy show me how to install RAM if I order more from Dell and it does seem to pop in and out without great difficulty.  Why not get the design of the hard drive installation up to that point where it is much more clear and fits right the first time?  Or perhaps both of us are mis-perceiving exactly how it is supposed to sit?

jl

2 Posts

June 19th, 2011 04:00

hi jlsoaz,

well nobody can show you how to install hdd corectlly, because there is no such a way.

problem is that laptop chasiss is not designed good an it is not possible to plugin HDD (or SSD) in a way that is 100% fitted in connector. Take a look in your original first HDD and you will noticed that you see golden plugs of HDD, or to say it in simple that it doesnt fit 100% well.

it is simple bad dells solution- bad engineering ....

No Events found!