Highlighted
TompJoe
1 Copper

Can't see added internal or external drives?

Jump to solution

I have an XPS-8500, Windows 7 / 64bit with a 2TB internal plus 30GB SSD.  I have had some signs of the internal hard drive having problems.  I have tried to add additional drives, ( internal Seagate 500gb, external WD My Book 3TB ) to do backup up can't get the computer to see either of these.  Device manager see's them but can't get a drive letter assigned.  Device manager also reports "Other Devices" "unknown device".   With this combo, ( internal plus ssd ), does that mean I cannot add any other drives.  I was told on another forum that the drives are only seen on port 0 & 1??  I have tried tools like DISKPART and Disk Manager to format and use the New Volume Wizard but they always time out with an error:

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date"

Any help would be appreciated.

My Bios says RAID  

Sata0/Port0        Main drive ( c: )

Sata1/Port5        DVD Samsung 224

Sata2/Port2        My New Drive, 500 gb seagate

Sata3/Port3        DVD Samsung 203b

MSata1/Port1     Samsung SSD 32G

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TompJoe
1 Copper

RE: Can't see added internal or external drives?

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the suggestions, I learned a lot of stuff between various forums but in the end I simply bite the bullet and did a system recovery using the disks I made upon purchase of the machine a few years back.  I felt I could not get around that I had some OS system files that were corrupted ( says the output of scannow ).  The main hardrive was failing and getting worse on each use.  I did not have a system repair disk ..... and the list goes on and on.

After the restore, I reloaded all my software, downloaded hundreds of MS Updates.  Had to re-configure the bios and set the ssd for raid and caching with the new drive accelerated.   The new drive is only 500gb versus the oem 2 TB, but I'll pick up something else soon.  The WD 3TB discovers.  I have it partitioned into 2,  1.5 TB partitions. 

Everything is functioning fine.  I created a system repair disk.  I have scheduled backups and will be creating a system image.  Hard drives do not last forever, but this time I will be prepared ( lesson learned ).

Joemt. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Hi Tompjoe,

Please post a screenshot of the disk management window. If the 500GB drive is not formatted, the file system should be shown as RAW.

0 Kudos
TompJoe
1 Copper

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
TompJoe
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Right clicking on disk1 and assign drive letter fails with error mentioned above.

Right clicking on disk1 and formatting says Unexpected error occurred.

I can clean this disk using cmd.exe and Diskpart "clean"

It then shows up as unallocated.  So I initialize the disk and run New Volume Wizard.  But it fails with the above mentioned error again.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Look for any unknown device under storage volumes, and delete it. Then scan for hardware changes and allow the driver to reinstall. The try to partition the drive.

0 Kudos
TompJoe
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Tried that, comes back in the same state.  Here's a more detailed description of the last attempt.  I used diskpart to identify the new internal hd, and run clean.  Disk Manager shows the disk 1 as "uninitialized" and "unallocated".  Next I initialize the disk, it shows online.  I can then right click in the area to the right and it prompts to run the "New Simple Volume".  That kicks off the New Simple Volume Wizard.  This gives a number of options regarding the max and min size of space and volume size.  I can then choose to Assign a drive letter or Mount in the following empty NTFS folder.  I have tried both choices.  Each ends with the error "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date...."

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

I'm not exactly sure of the solution, but I think you need to stick to DOS-based tools. Find a bootable utility from the hard drive manufacturer.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Right click the section to the left where it says:

Disk 1

Basic

465.76 GB

This will give you more options than Right clicking the unallocated space. Select convert to GPT Disk. Then try making a new simple volume.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
TompJoe
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the suggestions, I learned a lot of stuff between various forums but in the end I simply bite the bullet and did a system recovery using the disks I made upon purchase of the machine a few years back.  I felt I could not get around that I had some OS system files that were corrupted ( says the output of scannow ).  The main hardrive was failing and getting worse on each use.  I did not have a system repair disk ..... and the list goes on and on.

After the restore, I reloaded all my software, downloaded hundreds of MS Updates.  Had to re-configure the bios and set the ssd for raid and caching with the new drive accelerated.   The new drive is only 500gb versus the oem 2 TB, but I'll pick up something else soon.  The WD 3TB discovers.  I have it partitioned into 2,  1.5 TB partitions. 

Everything is functioning fine.  I created a system repair disk.  I have scheduled backups and will be creating a system image.  Hard drives do not last forever, but this time I will be prepared ( lesson learned ).

Joemt. 

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear about that. The good news is now you're covered.

0 Kudos