Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2015 09:00

Can't see added internal or external drives?

I have an XPS-8500, Windows 7 / 64bit with a 2TB internal plus 30GB SSD.  I have had some signs of the internal hard drive having problems.  I have tried to add additional drives, ( internal Seagate 500gb, external WD My Book 3TB ) to do backup up can't get the computer to see either of these.  Device manager see's them but can't get a drive letter assigned.  Device manager also reports "Other Devices" "unknown device".   With this combo, ( internal plus ssd ), does that mean I cannot add any other drives.  I was told on another forum that the drives are only seen on port 0 & 1??  I have tried tools like DISKPART and Disk Manager to format and use the New Volume Wizard but they always time out with an error:

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date"

Any help would be appreciated.

My Bios says RAID  

Sata0/Port0        Main drive ( c: )

Sata1/Port5        DVD Samsung 224

Sata2/Port2        My New Drive, 500 gb seagate

Sata3/Port3        DVD Samsung 203b

MSata1/Port1     Samsung SSD 32G

5 Posts

March 30th, 2015 22:00

Thanks for all the suggestions, I learned a lot of stuff between various forums but in the end I simply bite the bullet and did a system recovery using the disks I made upon purchase of the machine a few years back.  I felt I could not get around that I had some OS system files that were corrupted ( says the output of scannow ).  The main hardrive was failing and getting worse on each use.  I did not have a system repair disk ..... and the list goes on and on.

After the restore, I reloaded all my software, downloaded hundreds of MS Updates.  Had to re-configure the bios and set the ssd for raid and caching with the new drive accelerated.   The new drive is only 500gb versus the oem 2 TB, but I'll pick up something else soon.  The WD 3TB discovers.  I have it partitioned into 2,  1.5 TB partitions. 

Everything is functioning fine.  I created a system repair disk.  I have scheduled backups and will be creating a system image.  Hard drives do not last forever, but this time I will be prepared ( lesson learned ).

Joemt. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2015 16:00

Hi Tompjoe,

Please post a screenshot of the disk management window. If the 500GB drive is not formatted, the file system should be shown as RAW.

5 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 19:00

5 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 20:00

Right clicking on disk1 and assign drive letter fails with error mentioned above.

Right clicking on disk1 and formatting says Unexpected error occurred.

I can clean this disk using cmd.exe and Diskpart "clean"

It then shows up as unallocated.  So I initialize the disk and run New Volume Wizard.  But it fails with the above mentioned error again.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 25th, 2015 16:00

Look for any unknown device under storage volumes, and delete it. Then scan for hardware changes and allow the driver to reinstall. The try to partition the drive.

5 Posts

March 26th, 2015 06:00

Tried that, comes back in the same state.  Here's a more detailed description of the last attempt.  I used diskpart to identify the new internal hd, and run clean.  Disk Manager shows the disk 1 as "uninitialized" and "unallocated".  Next I initialize the disk, it shows online.  I can then right click in the area to the right and it prompts to run the "New Simple Volume".  That kicks off the New Simple Volume Wizard.  This gives a number of options regarding the max and min size of space and volume size.  I can then choose to Assign a drive letter or Mount in the following empty NTFS folder.  I have tried both choices.  Each ends with the error "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date...."

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 28th, 2015 05:00

I'm not exactly sure of the solution, but I think you need to stick to DOS-based tools. Find a bootable utility from the hard drive manufacturer.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 28th, 2015 16:00

Right click the section to the left where it says:

Disk 1

Basic

465.76 GB

This will give you more options than Right clicking the unallocated space. Select convert to GPT Disk. Then try making a new simple volume.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 11:00

Sorry to hear about that. The good news is now you're covered.

No Events found!