Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2014 14:00

Cannot flash DVD firmware

Good day.

I am trying to re-install Windows 7 on my XPS15 (L501x) from a USB drive. However, the installation claims my DVD drive (DVD+/-RW, 8, 12.7, Serial ATA, TRAY, HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE) does not have a driver installed (it can be recognised by Windows in the Computer window, but it cannot run any DVD's). The only drivers on the support page associated with the component are for firmware flashing, and they require an F/W file that I cannot find.
Thus, I don't know what to do.

So, in essence, where can I find a driver for DVD device and how do I install it?

Cheers in advance.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 26th, 2014 18:00

Hi Blabalos,

I would suggest you to run the ‘Fixit’ tool from the link below to check if it fixes the issue with DVD read/write problem.

http://dell.to/1b4M6nM

Also, please use the link below to troubleshoot the issue with the DVD drive.

http://dell.to/19bbiXw

Please let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

October 27th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for your reply, Ravi.

I'm afraid neither of these helped. The Fixit tool found nothing and the diagnostic tool on Dell didn't find anything, either. Funnily enough, even though the Fixit tool found nothing, when it tried to read a DVD, it could not, and it chalked it up to the DVD being damaged (which it wasn't).

Where to from here?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 28th, 2014 17:00

Hi Blabalos,

You are receiving this error during the Windows 7 installation procedure, correct? If that is the case, the problem is unrelated to your DVD drive. 

The error you see is, "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing".

The problem is that your USB drive installer image is corrupted. Please prepare a new Windows 7 installation USB drive and try it again. You might want to follow my link below to the Windows installation guide, where the author provides links to several downloadable ISOs for preparing an installation flash drive.

Good luck!

4 Posts

October 29th, 2014 09:00

Hey, Osprey! 

You are indeed correct about the error. However, the ISO I was using was full-sized. I downloaded the ISO you refer to in your guide, but arrived at the same error. Maybe the USB drive I am using is corrupted (though I thought Rufus took care of that). I shall purchase a new USB drive, try again, and report.

Thanks for your reply!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 29th, 2014 16:00

Ok, let me know what happens.

4 Posts

November 3rd, 2014 04:00

I'm afraid there's no way to get the appropriate sized file from Digital River. I have tried about ten time now, and every time the problem is the same. In fact, one of the trials yielded in a file that is larger than the size you describe in your guide.

I have a Dell-issued Windows 7 DVD sitting in my drawer, but I can't use it without my DVD drive working properly. To avoid the problems that come downloading the file, it would be easier to just that fixed first.

No Events found!