Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2010 13:00

Cannot get my Matshita UJ-892 CD/DVD to write anything!

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 with a Matshita CD/DVD (model UJ-892).  The drive has no issues playing DVD's, but it cannot write anything.  This is the case whether I try to use iTunes, Roxio, or Windows Explorer.  I have tried several kinds of media:  DVD-R, CD-RW, and CD-R, and all fail.  I will do my best to describe the errors in each medium, and in all examples below i am using CD-RW 12x by Verbatim, new for each example.

iTunes

I create a playlist to make an Audio CD.  It begins to write the first song, then stops ("cancelling disck burn....this may take a minute or two") and gives me an error message "An attempt to burn a disk failed.  An unknown error occurred (4251)"

Same exact error if I try and make it a Data CD instead of Audio.

Windows Explorer

First, whenever I put a disk in, it asks to format it, which I do.  If I select "Live" formatting, it then spends 15 minutes formatting, only to then say at the end that it was not successful, and i am never again able to use that CD (i.e. it is a coaster).  If i do "Mastered" formatting (where you can only write once), it allows me to move files to the CD and burn them, but only if it is a brand-new CD.  This is the only burn that works

Roxio Creator DE

I tried several different burns - audio disk, data disk, and disk image - and each starts, then abruptly stops with the message "There was a problem writing to the disk.  You can try again by clicking the Retry button.  You will need another blank disk ready".  The error "details" are:

Sense: 02  ASC: 04  ASCQ: 07 (Command 00)
-------------------------------------------------------
Px.dll: 4.12.28.500
PxAFS.DLL: 4.12.28.500
pxdrv.dll: 1.2.44.0
PxMas.dll: 4.12.28.500
PxSFS.DLL: 4.12.28.500
PxWave.dll: 4.12.28.500
pxwma.dll: 1.0.0.3

Free Easy Burner 4.0

This is a free burning program recommended by many.  However, it has the exact same issues as Roxio.

I feel like there is something stupid I am overlooking, but I cannot see what it is.  Can anyone help?????  Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 21st, 2010 17:00

Hi Krotz,

I see a firmware update for your drive here. I would try that first.

Please let me know what brand discs you are using. You may want to take a look at Osprey's Toolbox (link below) for some ideas on how to ensure you are using good quality media.

April 27th, 2010 12:00

I updated the firmware (thanks!), but have the same results.....same errors.

The media i am using are Verbatim 12x CD-RW (SERL).    I also tried TX (ThinkXtra) CD-R, and Maxell DVD+R 1-8x.

Any other ideas??

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 28th, 2010 05:00

Hi Krotz,

Have you searched the iTunes forums for error 4251?

I recall a recent post by someone who was unable to get iTunes to work with Roxio. Uninstalling Roxio fixed iTunes. You could try that.

April 28th, 2010 06:00

Yes....however, there are about 50 complaints about this error on the iTunes support site, and I was not able to find a single answer.

Our IT guy called Dell, and they think it may be a Windows problem....they are looking into it more.....will post if I find out more.  Thanks for your efforts!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 28th, 2010 13:00

Hi Krotz,

Ok, please let me know. If there are specific issues related to certain combinations of Roxio, iTunes and whatever else, I'd really like to know. Although I do not use iTunes, I am forced to provide technical support for it by my daughter.

April 28th, 2010 15:00

There are no specific combinations ..... really nothing writes.  iTunes is the most frequent example because this is what I would use most, but i also have a need to burn data and disk images, and none of these work either.  So there is no specific combination worse than the other.....

2 Posts

June 26th, 2010 18:00

I am having the exact same problem.  Nothing will write.  In any program.  However, it used to work.  Windows completely crashed and I had to do a reinstall from the system disks.  And, no it won't write with the same error message as listed above.

Device Manager indicates that the right driver is installed and working.  And that it is the latest and greatest.

Advice is very welcome!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 26th, 2010 18:00

Hi Jjlees.

Are you getting the same error in iTunes? Then I would suggest you peruse the iTunes forum for ideas.

Good luck!

2 Posts

June 27th, 2010 05:00

I am not even using iTunes.  I am using the Explorer burning capability, Roxio, and the Sony Camcorder DVD Burning software.  None are successful in burning a disk.  But, if you think iTunes/Apple will have a solution to a Dell/Matshita issue, I am willing to try anything ....

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 27th, 2010 06:00

Ok, sorry. So not the exact same problem.

Well, you could try the old upper and lower filter trick. This often fixes general burning problems. Go to the CD/DVD FAQ (link below) and go to the article on "code 39 error". Try that. It may be necessary to reinstall Roxio after you do this.

7 Posts

June 27th, 2010 13:00

I have had exactly the same problem, I thought it was just my laptop as it is about out of guarentee, it will read disks, but won't write, or if it does, it doesn't have anything on the disk when I go to look and it does that stupid choose type of disk save (ie live or for using in other cds) my explorer kept crashing and when looking in event viewer it said bad block and check memory, which I ran diagnostic and thats showing fine. I suspect its something that windows has done with their "improvements" seeing as I went back to factory settings and it still does it. all drivers etc are up to date the only different thing is that option screen on trying to write files to the disk....

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 27th, 2010 17:00

Hi Tlise,

A "bad block" is a potential issue and may indicate a pending hard drive failure. This is not related to your DVD drive. My suggestion would be to run the Dell diagnostics on your hard drive. Boot with your Dell drivers disc in the drive and run the diagnostics from there.

7 Posts

June 28th, 2010 03:00

You are kidding me, its only just by a matter of days out of guarantee :( I have run disk check and run the diagnostics but its not showing anything at all. Says it hasn't got an error. Passed all checks. I only saw the bad block because I went into event viewer as everything kept hanging once I tried to get the cd to write.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 28th, 2010 17:00

Ok, if it tests good, then you're probably ok.

For the CD issue, I would first try the MS CD/DVD fix (link below).

7 Posts

June 29th, 2010 09:00

well did that and it said no issues so I don't know....and to top it all, it will record to DVD I have found. The same dvds I am sure it wouldn't record to before lol. I would have thought it was a CD issue except I used 2 different types that I have used before and one definately had been nowhere near speakers or anything like hubby suggested so I haven't a clue :emotion-40:

No Events found!