Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 8th, 2008 22:00

Cant install old hard drive to new system

I bought an opti plex 330 and it arrived today. I went to add my old hard drive to the new computer but the connectors are different. The old drive has a long gray connector and a small connector labeled P5. The old drive says Seagate Ultra ATA on the back.

The new system only has the P5 connector and the prongs are different. Is there any way to install this drive into the new system? I have tons of stuff I wanted to bring over to the new computer.

Any type of adapters I should be looking for?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 9th, 2008 00:00

Cleanest way:  mount the drive in a USB 2.0, EIDE drive enclosure.  You need one for a Parallel ATA (EIDE) drive.  

For example,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817716017

208 Posts

August 9th, 2008 03:00

Yes the USB to ATA adapter is the easy way. the problem is that the new computers uses SATA and the other ones are EIDE or ATA.

The other way you can do this is to install an IDE controller in one of the slots and then connect the HD to the controller via a flat ribbon cable. You will need to get an adapter for the power cable, the one that connects to the power supply. However, some models od Optiplex are verylimited in internal space and or slots. Nevertheless, there is it, another way to accompish the task.

G.L.

12 Posts

August 9th, 2008 23:00

Thank you.

Optiplex are very limited in internal space and or slots

Yes, I found this out today when I opened it to insert my 1394 card. There was only one slot there and it had the video card in it.

No Events found!