Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2012 05:00

Change Combination Mode to RAID Autodetect/ATA – Dell XPS 400 – enable all 4 SATA ports!?

I recently purchased an XPS 400 desktop from a good friend, and since then installed tons of software, transferred data, upgraded the video card and RAM, etc.  A few days ago I installed a 1TB Barracuda for a 2nd drive, as it came with just one drive...a 320GB WD Caviar.  Initially, the new HD wasn’t recognized, not until going into BIOS and figuring out which SATA port to enable, andit turned out that just 1 of 4 ports was on.  Next, I went to hook up a DVD burner – also with a SATA connector – and therein began my dilemma  I've now spent several days in search of a definitive answer, all to no avail, so figure I'll try these forums. 

During all the above I realized that with SATA Operation in “Combination Mode,” 2 of the 4 available SATA ports are automatically disabled.  I understand this makes a SATA/PATA “combination,” but did it ever occur to Dell that you might want all 4 SATA ports, without getting into a RAID configuration??  Instead, the only options are either RAID or this “Combination Mode,” the latter of which then renders two of the SATA ports useless.  That means I’m left with no port to hook up my DVD burner, since the only two working SATA ports are in use by the two HDs.  Seemingly, this forces me to switch to a RAID configuration, which I truly don’t want and have no use for whatsoever, yet it appears that only by switching to one of the RAID options might all 4 SATA ports then be functional. 

In the BIOS setup is offered the following configurations – (Notably, with NO clear explanation or descriptions): 

SATA Operation:

RAID Autodetect/AHCI (RAID if signed drives, otherwise AHCI)

RAID Autodetect/ATA (RAID if signed drives, otherwise ATA)

RAID On (SATA is configured for RAID on every boot)

Combination Mode

NOTE: When in Autodetect mode, the computer configures the drive as RAID if a RAID signature is detected on the drive. Otherwise the drive will be configured as AHCI or ATA.

I believe that a “signed drive” is one that’s set up/ designated as a RAID drive during installation of the OS, but am not 100% on this.  Consequently, I find Option #2 above to be very confusing as to exactly what it means:  IF the drives are “signed,” then it installs RAID?  And IF the drives are NOT signed, then what –all 4 ports become usable or what?  This is very vague, and I absolutely don’t wish to risk losing ANY data (which it warns about), nor do I want to start from scratch, reinstalling the OS, system updates, myriad programs, etc etc.  That’s days ‘n days of work & I just went thru most of that, tho' the OS was already on it. 

This seems to be a very poor & confusing design, though perhaps there’s a way around it and Dell just doesn’t make this clear in its manuals or support documents.   Many others have posted on the net about this, yet their situations are different from mine, in that they’re either going to migrate an OS to a new HD, possibly just reinstall OS on existing HD, or don’t mind starting over from scratch if things screw up.  Well, that’s not my situation.  I simply want to enable those other ports so I can hook up my DVD burner and move on to other more pressing matters.

Lastly, someone told me that Option 2 would work and NOT destroy data, but I can’t find anything that positively confirms that.  Heck, I can't even find what happens after one chooses to change the configuration from Combination to RAID Autodetect/ATA.  From the "bits & pieces" I've gathered, after your initial selection to change the SATA Mode, there follows various options you then select.  Dell didn't think this might be useful information to know!??  What I have found, from most accounts, is that once you change that mode it’s not something you can simply reverse if it doesn’t work out.  Great; so it's what...a crap shoot?  If anyone knows about his for sure, and has the solution to this issue, I’d certainly love to hear it.  

Thanks in advance~

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 11th, 2012 14:00

Here's how to check (I should have mentioned it this morning). Go to device manager. If you see "IDE ATA/ATAPI controller", then you're running in ATA emulation mode. The BIOS should be set to ATA. Otherwise, it should be set to AHCI.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Tusk43,

You seem to be confusing the controller RAID mode with running drives in a RAID configuration. These are different things. If you have no use for the PATA ports, just run the controller in RAID/AHCI.

5 Posts

Hi Osprey,

That confusion, my friend, is entirely possible, as it's been many years since the one time I set up a system with RAID, which was (as you say) running drives in a mirrored RAID configuration.  As to if I have "no use for the PATA ports," do you mean turning 2 of the 4 SATAs into PATA?  If so, then it's true that I'd have no use for them.  I'd prefer that all 4 were SATA, since that would quickly fix my problem.

Now, the guy I bought this system from is a longtime tech at a local shop, and I've known him for over 30 years.  Since this was a personal sale it's rather difficult to talk with him at work, and between his family obligations and doing all kinds of side work, he's rather of hard to get ahold of lately.  When in the shop last Friday I quickly explained the situation to him, and he said to use the RAID/ATA mode - and that it could be done safely,  meaning no data loss.  

Friday evening I went back into BIOS to change the Mode to what he suggested (RAID/ATA), and I get this huge warning about "Data Loss."  So, I didn't proceed, as I don't have the time or energy to start from scratch.  Also, at this point I don't have enough space to back up all my data, so definitely don't want to assume that risk.

He said something about the Mode you suggest, but I honestly don't recall specifics, just that he said to use the ATA Mode.  Is there a reason you suggest the other vs ATA.  And why the glaring warnings about data loss?  I wish there was clear documentation giving step-by-step instructions showing what the rest of the process is AFTER you commit to start the process.  Again, I can't afford to start over here, let alone lose my data.  I have a brother dying of cancer, plus health issues of my own, so am spread pretty thin these days.

Appreciate your input.  Michael

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Michael,

Combination mode enables the PATA ports. You don't need that.

What you want to use depends on what mode the system was set when the operating system was installed. If your seller suggested ATA mode, then use that. ATA mode does not require the RAID drivers to recognize the drive during the OS installation, so it's a bit simpler.

However, either way, you will not lose data.

5 Posts

March 11th, 2012 06:00

Osprey,

It was set to Combination Mode when I got it, so that must be the mode selected by Sean when he recently did a fresh install of XP Pro.  So, going off the assumption the OS was installed in Combination Mode, changing modes from Combination to RAID/ ATA would still pose no problem?  (I guess I'm a bit confused as to why they call it "RAID"/ ATA if it's not really RAID and doesn't require those drivers.  Perhaps, a topic for another time.)

I'm sure he wiped off everything proprietary that Dell loads on their systems typically and, hopefully, none of that would be necessary to facilitate a change of modes.  Having been up most all night, I'm going to get a few hours rest before trying this change, as I'd rather be rested and fresh.    I'll post results later this morning after I give this a go.  Thanks again for the help!

Michael

I believe he put that WD drive in at the same time – don't think these systems came w/ 320GB HDs.

5 Posts

March 11th, 2012 15:00

Thanks for this latest info, Osprey.  After staying up till 530am, I've been back up since about 10ish, tho' mainly dealing with family matters – including their various computer problems (lol) !  Anyway, I checked Device Manager and IDE/ATA/ATAPI controller is there (followed by primary & secondary IDE Channels), so ti appears I'm good to go.

I was literally just getting ready to make the BIOS switch, after coming in from the yard, when I noticed your email had come in.  Thanks again; I'll will write back after the switch is done.

Cheers, Michael

5 Posts

March 11th, 2012 17:00

Osprey,

It worked like a charm, and I can't thank you enough.  After making the switch from Combination Mode within the BIOS, I shut everything down, removed a DVD ROM installed a few days ago for temporary purposes, then installed the DVD burner with the SATA connections.  Last week I pretty much figured out the port numbering for the 4-SATA ports, as nowhere in any documentation was this shown nor are they numbered on the motherboard.  Minus testing with an actual SATA device and the ports enabled, I wasn't 100% sure of ports 1 & 3, and could've had them reversed in my notes.  It turns out I had them right, so now that I'm positive as to "which port is which" for all 4-ports, I'll post this for others, knowing this information would've saved me considerable time and frustration.

For anyone who's encountered this, and I suspect many have judging from various posts found online, here's the port numbering for the Dell XPS 400.  As a point of reference, Port 0 is BLUE and the other three are black.  With the case lying flat on it's side, and the bottom at your feet, the blue port will be at top right.  Your main system drive is typically hooked to the blue port: 

Port 2        Port 0 (the BLUE one)

Port 3        Port 1

As time allows, I hope to revisit some of the other sites I went to while researching this issue, where many others were having problems similar or directly related to mine as posted here.  Perhaps I can save someone the time and frustration I went through.  Many thanks to Osprey for helping me out and being right on target with his advice.  I'm glad I took the time to sign up for these Forums, detail the issue, and then luck out in getting Osprey's timely assistance.

Cheers, Michael     

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 11th, 2012 17:00

Good to hear!

Appreciate your kind remarks.

December 30th, 2018 11:00

hi osprey, i was wondering if you could help me with setting up my r5500?

it has a k4000 nvidia and i wish to add a tesla gpu card, 

i tried it but it has no output from the back of the card

my email is : 

thanks,

tariq.

No Events found!