Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2010 13:00

Clicking 1.5TB Seagate drive

Seagate 1.5 TB USB drive.  In the middle of a 100GB transfer - it's started clicking.  Basically a click every second, then a faster (probably 4/sec), quieter click for a few sec, then back to the 1 / sec.  Quiet for short periods, but it always comes back.  Been occurring for an hour now.  Still moving files, (9MB/sec).

Normal?  (If so why hasn't it done it before?

Suggestions?

11 Posts

May 7th, 2010 15:00

Update,

It ran for an hour, normally, then clicked for two, then stopped (copy stalled).  I re-opened, and could see the files, and where it had stopped.  Was able to copy files off the drive.  Restarted copy, and it stalled immediately.  Powered all off, on again - it's dead.

Spent 30 minutes w/ clueless support.  End result - Dell only supports for 21 days.  Now have to call into seagate.  Would've been nice in the 1st 5 minutes that tehey could have told me that.

881 Posts

May 7th, 2010 17:00

Spent 30 minutes w/ clueless support.  End result - Dell only supports for 21 days.  Now have to call into seagate.  Would've been nice in the 1st 5 minutes that tehey could have told me that.

Hi Clark - Dell only supports for 21 days? Is this part of a new system or did you just buy the drive? I am going to have another hard drive but  maybe I should go to Newegg instead of Dell?

Jeff

18 Posts

May 7th, 2010 17:00

Seagate is a good company, I bet they replace it.  Clicking is a sure warning sign that things are going downhill fast.  Did you lost any important data?

No Events found!