Philip_Yip
7 Thorium

RE: Clone Factory Win7 to SDD - A little help?

Just a warning, as you have resized your partitions on the SSD, the internal recovery partition will likely not work. You can however use the DBAR USB if you need to reinstall in the future.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
metrolens732
2 Bronze

Thanks Philip - though I didn't resize the partitions, right? They should be exactly as per factory install. That said, I do notice that the SSD now has an extra small 8mb unallocated partition that wasn't there before. Is this what you mean?

0 Kudos
metrolens732
2 Bronze

One last question about how to handle my new SSD OS - which so far is awesome.

I've got System Restore disabled; the Samsung Disk Magician automatically does that. But now I'm concerned about applying the big Windows Update (500+ MB, 60 updates), without having a System Restore point to roll back to.

Can anyone suggest how I can handle this? Can I turn on System Restore temporarily, then create a "pre Windows Update" Restore Point, and then turn it back off again?

Or should I use some other method?

Does the Dell Backup and Restore utility have anything that would work? Create a bootable Rescue Disk perhaps? (I still have the Factory Install bootable USB, and will keep that on hand just as it is).

UPDATED:
I was able to successfully make a system image using the Windows "Backup and Restore" utility. Is this the answer? 

0 Kudos
metrolens732
2 Bronze

Any advice on this question?  To sum up: I'd like to install a big Windows Update, but want to have some kind of System Restore point available to roll back to before I do - the problem being that System Restore is currently turned off. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
bryguy21
2 Iron

If you have system restore disabled in windows, just make an image backup with the dell backup and restore utility. Put it on another USB. 

Bryan

0 Kudos
metrolens732
2 Bronze

Thanks Bryan - but do you mean "Create Your Rescue Disk" in DBAR? This is one of the Bootable Backup options. There are no other available options in DBAR; I don't have the Premium edition.

0 Kudos