Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2017 17:00

Cloning from Single HDD to RAID 1 Config

I have a single 500GB drive with newly installed Win10 with all Apps, confg's etc.  I decided to use the onboard RAID controller for data protection. I bought 2 ea 2GB SATA drives and setup RAID 1 mirror. All working good.

The problem is when I clone the single HHD to the RAID drive Win10 will not boot properly. It will start then throws error message to run repair. Nothing I have tried will correct and allow mirror to boot into Win10. During RAID config MBR was cleared, set to Boot on new drives and shows healthy status.

I am undergoing medical treatments and I don't have time to do another full reinstall of the OS, Apps, data transfer etc.etc. on the RAID. Can you please help if there is another way to resolve this issue?

Thank you very much for your help!

Katzman 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 31st, 2017 10:00

You can do a backup/restore (as opposed to a clone), which will ignore more of the hardware than a clone, loading support for the hardware it is loaded to.

Alternatively, if software/driver-based RAID, you may be able to enable the proper drivers and/or install them during the process.

However, you didn't mention which system and which controller, so you should also know that depending on your controller, backup/restore may be your ONLY option.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 31st, 2017 16:00

Here is one way to do what you want to do -- you must allow WIndows to load the RAID driver before booting out of Safe Mode the first time.

triplescomputers.com/.../

No Events found!