Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

January 6th, 2008 15:00

Computer Randomly Beeps (not sure if this is in the right place).

Since christmas my new "Inspiron 1501" laptop would "Beep" occasionally. At first, I thought it was due to heat because I read an FAQ about laptops and beeping, and it said that something would over heat and the beep was a warning. Next time it beeped I lifted it and the underside felt hot, so I thought that that might be it. But today it beeped pretty soon after startup, and I lifted it, and the underside felt cool. I've run several virus and spyware checks, all of which have found nothing more then the odd tracking cookie, since christmas.
The only one beep happens at a time, and it usually happens once a day, though today there were two, the second one being the odd one out. Nothing else seems to be affected and I hope this isn't some sort of warning sign.

1 Message

January 7th, 2008 20:00

Hi, I'm also interested in this topic. The beep is similar to the typical beep of a hard disk when is powered on, but it happens from time to time. Maybe it seems to be related to some power management features. I installed Linux and I noticed that the beep was more often. Searching in google, I disabled the hard disk power management with a tool called hdparm, but this only affects linux, when I boot in windows the beeps come again.
In my opinion, is interesting to know if this feature can affect the hard disk lifetime.
Cheers, Edu

7 Posts

September 5th, 2008 00:00

I have had the same problem. It seemed to start when Dell replaced my harddrive. They just sent me another drive and I am getting the same thing. It doesn't seem to affect anything. It is just very annoying.

7 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 16:00

I have sent my computer to the Dell Depot for this problem and they replaced the keyboard and speakers. This did not fix the problem. Today, they sent a tech to my house and changed the motherboard and RAM. The computer is still beeping! I still think it is some kind of accoustic signalling on the Toshiba hard drive. This all started when my original Western Digital harddrive went bad and they sent a Toshiba harddrive.

No Events found!