Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2013 09:00

Computer fails after upgrading HD firmware

Hi,

I installed the recommended firmware update D2D5DEM1.zip on my Dell XPS laptop. I used the Windows GUI. As expected, the system rebooted but did not upgrade successfully the firmware.

After a whole night of waiting, I shut down the computer and tried to restart, but the system is now saying "Operating System Not found".

I tried again to upgrade the HD firmware through the USB interface, and this time it worked successfully, however I am still hitting the "Operating System Not found" error.

I tried to:

a) Try to run PartitionLogic software --> cannot detect my partitions

b) reinstall Windows 7 --> it cannot locate my disk for installation

c) install Windows XP --> it complains about something abnormal with my HD and stop intallation

d) run Dell Diagnostic (latest version) --> no problem was detected; it successfully passed all HD tests

What are my next options?

4 Posts

March 9th, 2013 10:00

I finally made it work.

I ran the built-in diagnostic proposed by Nikhil, but it did not show any problem.

Then I installed Linux Mint 14, which created a new partition and installed successfully.

And  finally, I was able to install Windows 7 again; it was able to recognize my HD and then create a new NTFS partition.

I lost the data of the HD though, since I had to delete the partitions, but I had good backups.

Thanks for assisting.

2.6K Posts

March 7th, 2013 11:00

Hi OlivierB,

The problem could be with the harddrive of the computer. To get detailed information on the harddrive status I suggest you to run Custom test on the harddrive.

1. Switch on the computer, tap F12 at dell logo to enter “One-time boot menu”.
  2. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight “Diagnostics” and press enter.
  3. Continue the test and select Test system.
  4. Select Custom Test and select hard drive from the list.
  5. If the test fails, please capture the error code and let me know for the next course of action.

Please reply for further help.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2013 11:00

Hi Nikhil,

I already performed Diagnostic test with the Dell Diagnostic Utility Dell 32-bit Diagnostics v1394.

I ran all tests on the computer once, then again all test specifics for the HD.

No errors were reported.

Thanks.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2013 13:00

Hi Nikhil,

I already performed Diagnostic test with the Dell Diagnostic Utility Dell 32-bit Diagnostics v1394.

I ran all tests on the computer once, then again all test specifics for the HD.

No errors were reported.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 7th, 2013 18:00

What model system?

No Events found!