Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2012 17:00

Computer is no longer reading my disc drive

I have a Dell inspiron one 2305. I have a dvd/rw that came in the computer. Earlier this year the computer started to not read the disc drive. Now its basically like I don't have a drive at all. If you press the button it won't open. The disc drive is no longer visible on the control panel. I don't know why it started doing this or how to fix it. I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get. I tried going to dell support and downloading new firmware for it but since its saying the disc drive doesn't exist at all its not working.

Also a few days ago the screen started pixelating. There are greenish dots and pixels spread out on certain parts of the screen. This computer isn't even 2 years old so I don't why so much things are wrong with it.

I hope I can get some help here. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2012 22:00

Hi firearchdruid,

We need to check if the drive is detected in BIOS. To go to the BIOS page, please follow the below steps

1)      Tap ‘F2’ as soon as the computer starts to enter the system setup or BIOS

2)      Please confirm that you are able to see the headings ‘Main’, ‘Advanced’, ‘Security’, ‘Boot’ and ‘Exit’ on the screen

3)      Use the right-arrow key to navigate to ‘Boot’

4)      The second option should read ‘2nd Boot priority (Cd/Dvd/Cd-Rw Drive)

5)      The above the option is available in BIOS, which indicates Drive is getting detected.

6)      The above options are not available then select the (Cd/Dvd/Cd-Rw Drive) option.

7)      Press the ‘F10’ key to save the changes and exit the BIOS screen, when asked to confirm the same, please select ‘Yes’ and press ‘Enter’

Since you have mentioned that there are greenish dots and pixels spread out on the certain parts of the screen. While you’re on the BIOS page check whether you can notice the greenish dots. If the dots are available on the screen then video card or LCD might be faulty. Please run the PSA hardware diagnostic to check the hardware is working as designed and follow the below steps.

Turn the computer off >restart the computer

At the Dell logo screen, start tapping the F12 key a few times until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear.

At the one time boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, and then press Enter to begin the PSA diagnostics.

You will soon see different colors on the screen; at this point please press ‘N’ which will begin the LCD BIST Test. This test will help us to identify, if there is any issues with the LCD.

The screen will display multiple flashing colors. If you observe any blurry video, distortion and or any lines on your screen, it would mean that the LCD screen may be faulty.

Please make a note of any error codes listed if the test fails. Do reply for further assistance.

September 24th, 2012 06:00

I went to the bios page and the four headings are visible. I checked to make sure the cd/dvd/cd-rw drive is the 2nd boot priority and it is still the 2nd boot priority.

I went through all your steps and the pixels are gone so that part of the problem is fixed. Now if I can just find out why the dvd-rw drive isn't working right.

Thanks for your help.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 25th, 2012 01:00

Hi firearchdruid,

I am glad to hear that pixel problem is fixed. We need to check if the drive is detected in BIOS Main page. To go to the BIOS page, please follow the below steps

1)      Tap ‘F2’ as soon as the computer starts to enter the system setup or BIOS

2)      Please confirm that you are able to see the headings ‘Main’, ‘Advanced’, ‘Security’, ‘Boot’ and ‘Exit’ on the screen

3)      Use the right-arrow key to navigate to ‘Main’

4)      Right at the bottom of the page you will find two option SATA Port 0 and SATA Port 1

5)      Please let me know which option is selected in SATA Port 0 and SATA Port 1

Do reply for further assistance.

September 27th, 2012 07:00

SATA 0 says WDC7501AAES-75W7A0 (750GB)

SATA 1 says NONE

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 28th, 2012 04:00

Hi firearchdruid,

As per your post, I understand that in BIOS page SATA 1 says NONE, which means that Cd/Dvd/Cd-Rw Drive is not detected. I request you to send a private message with your system service tag, as I need to check a few more details. In order to send a private message, please accept my friend request, click on my user name and click start conversation.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2013 18:00

I have the same problem 

I've had dell service help me - to the point it was intermittently working.

It is my kids pc so I don't use it much.

They failed to tell until yesterday that it doesn't work (DVD/CD)

I believe this all happened when I uninstalled iTunes 1 year+ ago.

Can you please help?

Let me just say - I don't believe it is HW

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2013 03:00

Hi Simsk911,

What is the model of your Dell? Did you already run the diagnostic program? If not, I've got instructions in my troubleshooting guide (link below).

If the problem was indeed caused by iTunes, the upper and lower filter trick may work. I've got a link to that blow as well.

2 Posts

February 17th, 2013 11:00

Thank you for a prompt response...

The machine is an Inspiron One 2305 - my kids are still wishing I had returned the machine when it first happened (they've had other problems) But that was partially their fault (they couldn't wait until after I secured the machine to use it) and thus it has been infected with a virus.  The machine had windows completely re-installed. But that's another story...

I did run the diagnostic - success

I did go into the registry - there was an upper filter but not a lower filter (that I saw) 

I deleted the upper filter (as recommended in a prior search)

I'll check out the links and just verify that I have done everything.

The other alternative is to install windows 8.  My only problem is that I bought it for this Inspiron One but downloaded it from another machine (laptop)

Now the Win 8 won't install on the Inspiron One - In fact it wont install on the laptop either.  But that isn't the problem I'm trying to solve.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2013 12:00

Ok, let me know if the drive now works. At least we know it's not a hardware problem.

I'd be happy to help with the Windows 8 installation if you tell me what's happening or not happening as the case may be.

February 22nd, 2013 18:00

I'm having the exact dame problem with my inspiron one 2305, the BIOS says SATA1 NONE any chance you could help me with said problem I would greatly appreciate it

Thank you

Arthur Wright

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2013 04:00

Hi Arthur,

I try not to make assumptions about whether someone has the exact same problem. Can you tell me exactly what is happening with your Inspiron One 2305?

1 Message

February 18th, 2015 20:00

i am having the same problem ran updates / diagnostic and nothing works drive does not read. i even replaced it and it does the same thing. powers up and then dies about 15 seconds later

No Events found!