Highlighted
rml7881
1 Copper

Computer no longer recognizing disk drives

I have a Dell Dimension 3000.  I have 2 CD/DVD drives on the computer - the one that came with it and one that I added.  They have worked for years and suddenly they are not being recognized.  They show up in the control panel in device manager or when I go to add hardware but it has the yellow exclamation mark next to it.  When I try to repair it I get Error Code 19 (something about the registry).  But they do not show up under My Computer and nothing happens when I insert a disk.

I try searching for answers but nothing has worked.  Here is what I have tried.  I deleted the high and low filters in the registry, I removed Itunes, I disconnect and then reconnect the actual drives, I have tried fixing through device manger and add/remove hardware.  Nothing is working.  I even tried restoring the computer to a later setting but that didn't work as well. 

Any suggestions would be great appreciated!!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Computer no longer recognizing disk drives

You did the Filters ...... but, try this Microsoft Article again ........

support.microsoft.com/.../982116

If the "FixIt" does not work, scroll down the page and follow the manual instructions for your operating system.

0 Kudos
rml7881
1 Copper

I already did this and it didn't work.  I keep checking everytime I restart but I do not have any high or low fields in that registry key, they were already deleted.  

Any other suggestions???

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

That is puzzling, because if the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters are both missing, the drive should be missing from the Device Manager.  Are you sure you are in the correct subkey?

0 Kudos
rml7881
1 Copper

yea i'm sure.  I have tried EVERYTHING!!  

Here is a snapshot of what my registry looks like.  Maybe there is something else in that that should be deleted ... I have no clue.  Since my original post I disconnect both disk drives and rebooted the computer without them, shut down, reconnected, and the restarted.  They are still being detected by my device manager but I am still getting Code 19

0 Kudos
rml7881
1 Copper

0 Kudos