Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2010 14:00

Computer will not recognize my cd ROM drive on my computer

I had to install a new hard drive everything went ok until it did not recognize the CD rom drive or D: drive so I could download other programs. Anyone had a similar problem?? Thanks Duane

10.9K Posts

August 14th, 2010 17:00

CD-ROM not recognized?  Do you mean it does not appear in My Computer?
Or do you mean it will not read discs?

What is the operating system you have installed?

10.9K Posts

August 19th, 2010 11:00

Look in the Device Manager .....

Click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives.  Right-click the drive and select Properties.
Is there an Error Code (number) present?

2 Posts

August 19th, 2010 11:00

Both it does not register in my computer and it will not read discs. I have windows XP Home Edition OS . I have tried several drives all in good working order. Thannks Duane

February 15th, 2011 15:00

Look in the Device Manager .....

Click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives. Right-click the drive and select Properties.
Is there an Error Code (number) present?

Now I got it, Thanks for your analysis!

14.4K Posts

February 16th, 2011 09:00

If this is a laptop then try removing the optical drive and reinstalling it. If a desktop then I would suggest you recheck that the power and sata/ide connector to the optical drive is secure.

2 Posts

February 27th, 2013 11:00

I am having same problem.. dell not recognizing its cd rom.  It doesnt show up in Device Manager or and brosing options.  Error code was 39 prior to it disappearing.  I tried to update driver software, it told me it was updated, now cd rom doesnt show up at all.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 27th, 2013 12:00

Hi USte,

Please click the link below to run the upper and lower filter trick on your system.

If Fix-it tells you there is no drive, then click my troubleshooting guide below and follow the instructions to run the Dell diagnostics on your drive with a data disc in the drive. This will test the drive to see if there is any hardware failure. Let me know if the drive passes or fails.

2 Posts

February 27th, 2013 14:00

Hi, I had to do it twice but eventually after installing then troubleshooting, it worked! Thank you!!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 27th, 2013 16:00

Excellent!

1 Message

November 4th, 2018 15:00

Where is the link you mention? 

No Events found!