Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2013 15:00

Computer wont boot Vista completely from newly clones HDD

Dell Optiplex 755 with 80gb hard drive

my installed 80gb hard drive was indicating it was critically low in available storage. i purchased a 250gb seagate sata to replace the drive. i used "acronis migrated easy" to format and clone the original hard drive to the new larger hard drive.  As part of this process the new drive ( labled the boot drive) was given the letter designation H:. The clone was successful and I  viewed the H: drive and the files were indeed on the new drive.  The next step was probably a mistake, but the program offered to fromat the old drive with quick format, which I did elect to complete. Then i rebooted the computer and it went through the bios and started to load vista but eventual went to a screen with a blue background with nothing else on the screen.  I've rebooted several time but same results.  I've been thinking that since the original drive was designated C: , that all the cloned files probably have that in the file addresses and since the new drive was given a designation H: there is some sort of conflict.  I'm at a loss at how to proceed.

I did backup the original drive on a Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive before I started the cloning.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 26th, 2013 17:00

Try removing the old drive and rebooting.

2 Posts

April 27th, 2013 06:00

Removed the old drive. Restarted  the computer . Same outcome as before with the addition of an error box on the blue background.  The error box was for rundll32.exx and stated, " Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file.  you may not have the appropriate permission to access them."

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 27th, 2013 22:00

You may have to reinstall, but don't reformat and your old Windows installation will be archived as Windows.old. Afterwards, you can import your data into the new install.

No Events found!