Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2013 10:00

Converting Raid 1 configuration to 1 normal hard drive with Windows XP Professional

I have a Dell Precision 380 Workstation that was configured from the factory as Raid 1 with 2 Seagate 160GB harddrives.  The operating system is Windows XP professional.  I would like to eliminate the Raid 1 configuration and make the computer a 1 normal hard drive configuration.  Can anyone help me with a step by step procedure to accomplish this?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 16:00

Hi cbcenterplus,

RAID 1 means you have essentially two separate drives with identical information. So breaking the RAID is simple. Boot to the Intel RAID Option Rom Utility (ctrl + I ), change both drives to NON-Member disks then reboot.  The 2nd drive will be assigned new drive letter, and you can reformat it using disk management, and have additional space.

22 Posts

January 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi Osprey4,

After I change both drives to non member discs,  can I remove one of drives and only have one drive in the computer?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 24th, 2013 04:00

Yes.

22 Posts

January 24th, 2013 08:00

Will it matter which drive I remove?  One of the drives has a blue ribbon going to SATA 0 on the mother board, and the other drive has a blue ribbon going to SATA 2 on the mother board.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 24th, 2013 09:00

Your system drive should be connected to port 0.

22 Posts

January 24th, 2013 12:00

After I remove the Raid 1 configuration and restore the system to a regular 1 hard drive configuration, I plan to remove the second hard drive from the computer--the one I plan to remove is the one attached to SATA 2 on the mother board.  Then I would like to replace the existing hard drive with a brand new one.  When I do this, the new hard drive will have no partitions and will not be formatted.  Then as I install my Dell reinstallation CD Windows XP Service pack 2 disc that I received with my computer, will the operating system as it is being installed partition and format the new hard drive?  Will I just have to watch the screen and make decisions as I am asked during the install?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 25th, 2013 10:00

Yes, you've pretty much got it. Let me refer you to Natakuc's clean install guide (link below) for help with the procedure.

I've installed XP a hundred times but still like to refer to the guide when I do it.

22 Posts

January 25th, 2013 11:00

Thank you,

I plan to install the new hard drive over the weekend.

22 Posts

January 25th, 2013 12:00

Just one more thing, I pressed F2 to get into the BIOS and went to "DRIVES" and then "SATA OPERATION".  There were 4 catagories at the top of the screen at the right.

Raid autodetect/AHCI    

Raid autodetect/ATA

Raid ON

Comination

Raid autodetect/AHCI was high lighted.  Should I change anything here?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 26th, 2013 03:00

No, leave it as is.

22 Posts

February 5th, 2013 00:00

I did install a new OEM Seagate 160 GB Hard Drive and it is working.  I had been in contact with Dell earlier and was informed to change Raid autodetect/AHCI to Raid autodetect/ATA.  So I did change it from Raid autodetect/AHCI to Raid autodetect/ATA.  I didn't think to ask why the change from AHCI to ATA was to be done.  I guess I could go back in to change it back to AHCI but it is working with it set to ATA so I think I'll just leave it like this.

Thank you so very much for your help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 5th, 2013 16:00

Glad to hear you're up and running!

3 Posts

October 11th, 2014 05:00

Thanks for the helpful posting.  I have Dell Precision T5500 running Window-7. I want to do the same --  change one RAID to a regular drive as well. Is the procedure the same for Window-7?  Could you please specify how to "Boot to the Intel RAID Rom Utility".  Thanks you very much!

22 Posts

October 26th, 2014 01:00

I did the switch last year and did not write down step by step what I did.  I don't remember what all I did and really can't help you, I wish I could.  I recently purchased a new Dell Optiplex 3020 from Dell with Windows 7 Pro installed with only one hard drive.

Why don't you start a new thread and maybe someone will be able to give you step by step instructions on what to do.  Sorry I can't help any further.

No Events found!