Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2009 21:00

Cyberlink PowerDVD - No Disk :(

Hello,

I just reinstalled my OS for the first time since I first got my system 3 years ago. Not a good time to figure out I didn't get all the software that I needed when I first bought the computer. I did ask Dell to send install disks when I first received the system and they did but the DVD decoder doesn't seem to be included in any of them. Of course, my warranty is long expired. Is it possible to get this software now? I think I still have a partition to restore my computer but I can't seem to access it when I hit CTRL-F11...but I have an "unknown" partition that is over 5GB. Is it possible to restore from this partition (if it is the restore partion) so I can get the software that way?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Kristyn

4 Posts

July 21st, 2009 21:00

Thanks, I had downloaded that but I started having other issues with my drive so I decided to search for a solution to get my system restore section to work. I found an EXCELLENT fix and was able to get CTRL-F11 to work again...I restored my computer to factory settings and now (after uninstalling all the worthless software that originally came with my computer) everything is a-okay!

To anyone who wants to restore their ability to use the restore partition: use a little utility called "dsrfix" You can find it here and it comes with excellent instructions.

10.9K Posts

July 21st, 2009 06:00

Give VLC Media Player a try here ............

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

2 Posts

December 16th, 2009 08:00

I have a DVD that was sent to me from the UK which will not play on my home computer ( I use an external dvd drive) nor my regular dvd player. But it will play on my work computers built in dvd drive using the powerDVD program. I didnt even know about the powerdvd program until it opened this dvd...If I download the videolan software at home, will I be able to play the dvd at home? ...I really dont want to spend 100 dollars buying the powerdvd software just to play one dvd!

..I am naive and not overly knowledgable in the back works and compatabilities of computers and regions so I actually never gave a thought about whether or not a DVD from the UK would play in my regular home Dvd player...which is what I really prefer, but I have no idea how to get from here to there...Any advice? Greatly appreciated!

2 Posts

December 16th, 2009 11:00

That would be a great idea. Only thing is that it is a dance instruction dvd so it will be used over and over (more than 5 times)...Maybe you know of a way I can reburn it into my region to replay in my usa format? Its not copy protected...Thanks for the swift advice!

I do alot of music burning so I would have to reset the region every time I removed the dance dvd...why do they not standardize?

4.6K Posts

December 16th, 2009 11:00

Welcome to the forums autumns :emotion-21:

With the right software - it's not a requirement, but you can change the region settings on (PC) CD/DVD drives up to 5 times.

See here for a 'how to'.

Remember to change it back again though, once you've watched the DVD sent from the UK :emotion-55:

No Events found!