Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 15th, 2008 13:00

D: Drive full

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 With Vista Home Premium, factory installed.

Right now my C: drive shows 16.7 GB free of 62.4 GB

The D: drive shows 1.16 MB free of 9.99 GB

Every day when I start up I get a popup message that my D: drive is full.  Clicking on this message leads me to a page where I can delete certain items from the drive, but the only thing it shows to delete is related to Office setup with 0 (zero) MB saved.   

As you can see, the D: drive is taking up a significant portion of the drive.  I can't find any documentation about the D: drive but it does seem from what little I can find that most are far smaller in size than mine.

What's in the D: drive that can be deleted?

How do I delete those items?

How do I reduce the size of the D: drive and lock the size?  And eliminate the popup message?

Apparently, over time, things are added to the drive.  How do I manage what's going in there? 

If I have recovery disks, do I really even need the D: drive?  

Can it be deleted entirely, or reduced to some KB size?

I hope someone can help me with this, keeping in mind that I'm not particularly technically proficient (it took me 12 (twelve) tries just to sign up with this forum) although I can follow directions.  Abbreviations and acronyms confuse me. 

58 Posts

April 17th, 2008 02:00

dont touch your D: drive. Thats your computer recovery partition.

I suggest calling DELL to see what they say about how to get rid of that prompt saying that drive D is full. 

549 Posts

April 19th, 2008 16:00

Have you been saving anything in D: drive?

When I click on D:, I have the following:

D:\Dell\Image\Factory.wim (6GB file)
D:\Program Files\ (6.63MB)
D:\ProgramData\ (0 bytes)
D:\sources (993 KB)
D:\Tools (1.52MB)
D:\Users (0 bytes)
D:\Windows\ (34.1MB)

Mine has 3.2GB free.

Technically, as long as you have a Operating System Disk and a Applications/Drivers disk , you can delete the recovery partition. The recovery partition just makes it easier to return your computer to the way it was originally.

I know many who have Dell computers delete this partition and recover the hard drive space.
Message Edited by DeathRider on 04-19-2008 01:21 PM

5 Posts

April 21st, 2008 03:00

I haven't been saving anything myself.  Apparently the Inspiron is doing it itself.

My D: shows

D:/dell 3.88GB

D:/N360_BACKUP 5.55GB

D:/Program Files 6.63MB

D:/Sources 993KB

D:/Tools 1.52MB

D:/Users 262KB

D:/Windows 786MB

I didn't create any of these files.

Now that I think about it, it appears that the N360_BACKUP folder was created by Norton.  I'm also guessing that maybe I can delete that folder as it likely contains duplicate info.  If I do that, is there a way that I can reduce the maximum size of D: to 5GB or so? I getting nervous about the available space on my C: drive.

549 Posts

April 21st, 2008 09:00

You would need a program like Partition Magic (there are freeware/shareware programs as well) to resize the partition without having to wipe the drive and start off from scratch.

1 Message

August 28th, 2018 08:00

Interesting.  I have the same error that D Drive is full yet I am not saving anything there.  Dell says it's (Inspiron 5477) out of warranty but they can fix it with a 1 year $239 warranty.  Really?

When I list what is on the drive is says 0 data used, even with show me hidden files.

10 years later from this originial post....anyone have an answer?  Thanks!

No Events found!