Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 6th, 2007 22:00

D630 SATA DRIVE INSTALLATION FIX

This message is for everyone who is having problems with installing the AHCI for the Dell Latitude D630.
Go to the Lenovo website http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-62909 and download the Intel Matrix driver that they have. Once you have downloaded it navigate to the folder and extract out the contents. Then go into the folder that says "Prepare' and click "install". It may seem like nothing has happened but you must restart your machine and then go into the BIOS before it reboots. Change the SATA setting to AHCI and the Flash setting(it will prompt you for which Flash must be enabled), and then let your machine fully reboot. Once logged in your machine will find new hardware. Point it to the folder where you extracted the files and it will install the drivers.
Hope this helps
Message Edited by bro_tayo on 07-06-2007 06:14 PM

Message Edited by bro_tayo on 07-07-2007 10:26 PM

6 Posts

May 29th, 2008 13:00

Where do I get the Intel Chipset software.  I assume I have to install this in Windows or is this something you must install at boot/install.

14 Posts

May 29th, 2008 13:00

jtbmoore

You can get the Intel Chipset software from the Dell website.  

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

14 Posts

May 29th, 2008 14:00

You have thrown a new variable into the fray. Your machine has been crashing? If so what exactly is it doing, and also what model is it?

6 Posts

May 29th, 2008 14:00

Lat D630.  I have tried to install the intel driver during install with AHCI enabled and disabled.  It crashes everytime.  When I boot to xp install I hit f6 to install driver.  Their are about 4 options and I have tried each one.

6 Posts

May 29th, 2008 16:00

I just tried that.  I have xp installed with ahci disabled.  I downloaded the intel drivers, ran them, it created a drivers directory on c:\.  I rebooted, went into Bios and enabled ahci and it crashes.  What step am I missing?  Thanks for the help

14 Posts

Jtbmoore,

When you install Windows XP you will first have to go into the BIOS and disable AHCI. Install XP without hitting F6 to install other drivers. Once XP is installed and you have the Ethernet driver installed. You can begin following the instructions on Page 1.

Installing the driver during install is something that I have never tried since I do not have an external floppy drive. 

14 Posts

Jtbmoore,

Did you download the Intel Matix Storage Manager from IBM? Once you download that and run the file inside the PREPARE folder. You restart your machine and go into the BIOS and turn AHCI back on again and let your machine fully boot. You should be prompted about new hardware found. Point to the folder where you said the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. 

6 Posts

Duh, sorry. I was looking for an exe not a cmd file.  Works now.  Thanks for the help.

1 Message

June 21st, 2008 07:00

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I am having trouble installing a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro.  onto my Dell Latitude D630 Laptop.  I have tried doing everything thats been mentioned, but I still can't load a new copy of XP.  The Windows XP that I have doesn't have any service packs, does that matter?  I keep getting this blue screen that says the it found a problem with windows and that it needs to stop to keep it from causing harm to the computer.  I have tried loading it with ATA on and Flash Cache Module disable or AHCI enabled and Flash Cache Module enabled. Can you help me with this?

14 Posts

June 22nd, 2008 20:00

lhlopez,

You will have to go into the BIOS and disable the Flash Cache and change the SATA to ATA, and then it should install just fine. If you still have issues then problem is the cd that you are using and not the machine. Let me know if you have anymore issues.

7 Posts

December 17th, 2008 18:00

Hi bro_tayo.

The original IBM link doesn't appear to work anymore.  Could you let me know how much of a performance increase you've noticed with AHCI/cache enabled over ATA?  Would love to try get this to work (if worth it), but haven't had much luck - as running Dell/Intel Matrix software/driver just states the hardware (a D630) is not supported...

1 Message

July 7th, 2011 10:00

The following worked for me.

Webpage: www-307.ibm.com/.../document.do

Direct link to file: download.lenovo.com/.../6iim10ww.exe

2 Posts

January 20th, 2022 15:00

Since link above (IBM) is not working, try this method which helped me and many others:

https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci

There is in fact a way to switch operation from either IDE / RAID to AHCI within Windows 10 without having to reinstall.  Here are the steps:

1. Click the Start Button and type cmd
  2. Right-click the result and select Run as administrator
  3. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
  4. Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup
  5. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID
  6. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  7. Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  8. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
  9. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.
  10.               Comments (52)
  11.        YEE! WORKED! Many thanks to This article and Tom Williams ->TIME&$&LIFE SAVER!!!!!

For me & Dell Latitude D630, I also ran these commands:

bcdedit /set safeboot minimal

(then I rebooted and switched to AHCI)

bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot

THANK YOU for writing such clear and accurate instructions!

Result: Boot time is about -30% (and I guess all other) in AHCI mode for WD3200BEKT 7200rpm

Peace...
No Events found!