bro_tayo
1 Nickel

Re: D630 SATA DRIVE INSTALLATION FIX

Jtbmoore,

When you install Windows XP you will first have to go into the BIOS and disable AHCI. Install XP without hitting F6 to install other drivers. Once XP is installed and you have the Ethernet driver installed. You can begin following the instructions on Page 1.

Installing the driver during install is something that I have never tried since I do not have an external floppy drive. 

0 Kudos
jtbmoore
1 Copper

I just tried that.  I have xp installed with ahci disabled.  I downloaded the intel drivers, ran them, it created a drivers directory on c:\.  I rebooted, went into Bios and enabled ahci and it crashes.  What step am I missing?  Thanks for the help
0 Kudos
bro_tayo
1 Nickel

Jtbmoore,

Did you download the Intel Matix Storage Manager from IBM? Once you download that and run the file inside the PREPARE folder. You restart your machine and go into the BIOS and turn AHCI back on again and let your machine fully boot. You should be prompted about new hardware found. Point to the folder where you said the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. 

0 Kudos
jtbmoore
1 Copper

Duh, sorry. I was looking for an exe not a cmd file.  Works now.  Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
lhlopez
1 Copper

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I am having trouble installing a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro.  onto my Dell Latitude D630 Laptop.  I have tried doing everything thats been mentioned, but I still can't load a new copy of XP.  The Windows XP that I have doesn't have any service packs, does that matter?  I keep getting this blue screen that says the it found a problem with windows and that it needs to stop to keep it from causing harm to the computer.  I have tried loading it with ATA on and Flash Cache Module disable or AHCI enabled and Flash Cache Module enabled. Can you help me with this?
0 Kudos
bro_tayo
1 Nickel

lhlopez,

You will have to go into the BIOS and disable the Flash Cache and change the SATA to ATA, and then it should install just fine. If you still have issues then problem is the cd that you are using and not the machine. Let me know if you have anymore issues.

0 Kudos
gharshenin
1 Copper

Hi bro_tayo.

The original IBM link doesn't appear to work anymore.  Could you let me know how much of a performance increase you've noticed with AHCI/cache enabled over ATA?  Would love to try get this to work (if worth it), but haven't had much luck - as running Dell/Intel Matrix software/driver just states the hardware (a D630) is not supported...

0 Kudos
jcchapster
1 Copper

The following worked for me.

Webpage: www-307.ibm.com/.../document.do

Direct link to file: download.lenovo.com/.../6iim10ww.exe

0 Kudos