Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2009 21:00

DELL 1737 CD/DVD Drive Random, Mysterious Clicking Noise

I recently purchased a Dell 1737 Studio 17, running Vista 32, 2.00 GHz, 3.0 GB Ram... Etc... Since power on, a mysterious clicking noise has been comming from the right side of the computer. I beleive it is the CD/DVD drive or the HDD. However, I don't know which side the HDD is on so I can't be sure. I have tried downloadinf the driver update for the CD/DVD drive but it wants to go from A105 to A103. To me that seems like a downgrade, not an upgrade. The CD/DVD Drive is the HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA10N ATA Device. and the Seagate HDD drivers on the Dell site have done nothing, mainly because I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with them. They are in ISO and .exe format but the .exe loads and closes almost immediately. Can Anyone recommend a solution or say they have had this problem so Dell can jump on it. Thanx.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 1st, 2009 18:00

Hi, Heat:

I suggest you run the Dell diagnostics on your hard drive, which is most often associate with clicks prior to death. The instructions are on page 281 of your manual.

You can run the diagnostics from your Dell Resource CD.

Please post back and let me know if anything is reported.

33 Posts

May 2nd, 2009 00:00

My old laptop is a compaq and a couple of years ago it was sent for a new harddrive or motherboard i cant remember which. When it came back now and again it started clicking and was driving me crazy. After much wrangling with tec guys it was sent away again and the clicking was due to my speakers being to close to something inside my laptop just a thought it could be your problem.

3 Posts

May 4th, 2009 14:00

I ran the diagnostics which took an immense amount of time (upwards of 4 hours if I had to guess). I ran the extended test to make sure to get everything. There were absolutely no errors. However, I was not satisfied so I went and did a test by symptom. I selected the one that said random clicking noise and it tested the fans as well as the hdd. When it shut off the drive it made a different clicking noise, but upon the restart of the hdd under the test, it made the exact same noise I am constantly hearing. This, to me, makes it the hdd hands-down. The sound came when it said "Start Unit (Idle) command." But other than that, no errors..... I honestly have no idea and I REALLY don't want my hdd to die because when I got the new computer, I transeferred over all my data from my old one cuz I was selling that one. So if my hdd does die on this 1537, I'm in a really bad place cuz thhat would be my entire first year of college documents. Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

2 Posts

July 21st, 2009 10:00

Hi, I have a 1737 too and yes it is doing the same thing.  Did you ever find out what to do ?  Did Dell respond after you tried the diagnostics?

1 Message

July 21st, 2009 11:00

Click for me too.  Had my 1737 about 6 months.  Mine is definitely associated with the bluray drive and playback of bluray movies now fails.  Am awaiting tech support to ring me.  My noise is whirr,click,whirr,click and disc often will not eject, sometimes laptop locks up.  Will write again after my tech chat with the friendly chap in India!

3 Posts

July 21st, 2009 21:00

Unfortunately, my girlfriend (her laptop; never mentioned that) did not get a blu-ray drive (really no need actually, she barely understands DVD; love that girl to death) so this has nothing to do with it. I don't believe this is the same problem. We are discussing the HDD NOT the ODD... Sorry. And to the poster beforehand, No I have not gotten this fixed, again unfortunately...

No Events found!