Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2014 17:00

DELL XPS L502X SSD upgrade (Samsung EVO 840 1Tb or Crucial M500 960Gb)

Hello, 

I have a couple of questions regarding a SSD upgrade in my DELL XPS L502X. 

1. Does the laptop support bigger SSD drives without problems (not sure if there are any known, could not find it on the forums, but IF there are possible problems, I would like to know before purchasing the SSD). I am thinking about the Samsung EVO 840 1Tb SSD or the Crucial M500 960Gb. 

2. I read that the SATA III SSD drives are supported by the DELL XPS L502X, but I also want to know If I can place the current 750Gb 7200rpm drive into a HDD caddy and place it in the DVD drive without problems. It means I have the 1Tb of 960Gb  SSD internal on the normal SATA HDD location and the current 750Gb placed in the DVD drive. 

I am looking for a laptop upgrade that is not too expensive (the SSD is expensive ofc) while expanding the internal storage for video and photo backup on the go (also faster video editing while on location or on business trips). 

Thanks in advance!

Greetings, 

ARCUS1200

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 29th, 2014 16:00

Hi Arcus1200,

That system supports SATA III so there should be no problem with a large SSD. Of course, with Crucial, if you use their configuration utility, they guarantee compatibility, so we recommend using that.

I have no experience with HDD caddies for the DVD slot but I've seen few complaints.

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 18:00

Hey Osprey4, 

It looks they sell the SSD drive of Crucial without some configuration utility? Or is it provided on CD within the box? I found a link to an installation kit on their website: http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CTLAPINSTALLAC . Does it mean I need to order this seperately with the SSD in order to configure it right or can I save the extra costs by just installing the drive and clean install everything (which I want to do, just make a fresh and clean install of Win7). 

A couple of days ago I was not sure which SSD I wanted to purchase, I am leaving the Samsung for what it is because of the TLC memory (Crucial uses MLC memory with better protection if it comes to data loss and power consumpion it seems, which sounds to me it's a better choice when using it in Laptops). 

Greetings, 

ARCUS1200

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 5th, 2014 17:00

Hi Arcus1200,

Yes, you can just perform a clean installation. There is no need for any installation kit.

4 Posts

May 10th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for the answer!

I am currently waiting a bit for a pricedrop of the Crucial M550 1Tb (some shops in the Netherlands lower their prices drastically, so I am curious how far they will go this month). http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/376081/crucial-m550-2-komma-5-inch-1tb.html

The next problem is how to open the Dell XPS 15 L502x, it's a bit harder then I thought to reach the harddisk (I need to remove several things probably in order to reach the HDD). Never done this (or even opened the XPS L502X) so that will be a challenge on itself haha. Hopefully everything will fit back easy after opening it :-). 

I will go for the SSD only without the installation kit, I got a 2,5" hhd case which I can use to move all files from the currend 750Gb HHD Dell provided with the laptop to my normal computer. The old disk will be formatted after and placed in the DVD HDD caddy. Easiest solution probably. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 11th, 2014 04:00

All you need to remove to access the HDD is the palm rest. Then remove the HDD from the bracket and secure the SSD in the bracket and back into the laptop. I just replaced my daughters HDD in her Thinkpad with an SSD yesterday and the procedure was similar. Very easy!! I installed Win 7 from a flash drive and it was super fast! She feels like she got a new laptop.

2 Posts

June 18th, 2015 04:00

Hi Osprey 4,

I have a Dell XPS 15 L502x with Intel i 7, 750 gb  hdd and 6 GB RAM. 

My laptop has been runnning slow with a lag in almost everything so one of the experts have suggested to replace the HDD.

i m thinking of replacing my HDD to 1 TB SDD. But i m not sure which brand to go for as well as which would be compatible.

Seagate ST1000LM014 1TB Laptop Solid State Hybrid Drive

I found the above on amazon please advice.  

Sincere regards,

Dinesh Keswani

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 21st, 2015 04:00

Hi Dinesh,

All SSDs are compatible with PCs running new operating systems. Brand is your personal choice. The drive you linked to is a hybrid, not an SSD.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2015 09:00

Hello Osprey,

Hope you are doing well. Thank you for your advice earlier. I just got my Seagate 1 Tb Hybrid drive for my dell xps 15z l502x. m just wondering where can i find my OS as the OS came in pre-installed. please advice so i can finish installing my new hard drive.

Many Thanks.

Regards,

Dinesh keswani

No Events found!