Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 17th, 2007 19:00

DST log contains previous error(s)

I previously had thought my hard drive had died. Refer to http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_harddrive&thread.id=60397 this post. After having taken it into my local computer shop (he checked the drive on another computer) it seems that's not the case. My computer is working again, so far, though I haven't done anything but install the operating system and some antivirus software. What I need to know is, is there anyway that the DST log can be erased? The error is bugging me and I don't want to be working on my computer and have it go down, so I'd like to be reassured that it's in complete working condition again. Is there any other possible way that error could come about in some other way than hard drive failure?

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

May 18th, 2007 01:00

Clear the system event log in the bios

May 18th, 2007 19:00

So... could someone explain that to me? I'm guessing getting the to BIOS menu consists of F2 at startup? I have a Latitude D600 by the way. Would appreciate it if someone could explain what to do.

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

May 19th, 2007 02:00

the event log is an item in the BIOS menu (Yes F2 to access at boot) near the bottom of the page should be a listing for the event log, enter that section & there is an option to clear it. then exit BIOS & the error should be gone.

17 Posts

May 20th, 2007 23:00

Well I am so sorry to say that you  cannot clear the DST logs by going to the system BIOS however you need to tell me what is the exact error code you are getting while running the diags when you press f12 at the Dell logo and go to the diags coz the diags for the hdd gives you a result while running DST SHORT STATUS test it could range from error code like1000-0142 to 1000-0146, depending on the error code I could suggest you what needs to be done in case of your error DST log contains previous error(s) doing a chkdsk /r or a repair reinstall of xp might resolve the issue.
No Events found!