Highlighted
sahani
Copper

DST short status test failure

Hi, My Inspiron 5160 shows DST short status test failure with an error code 1000-0142.
Msg-Unit 4: Drive self test failed status byte=89.
How can it be resolved?
0 Kudos
19 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

Re: DST short status test failure

Replace the drive.
0 Kudos
sahani
Copper

why do i need to replace the drive
0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Because it has failed.
0 Kudos
TSR01
Silver

If you still have an active warranty with Dell, call Dell Technical Support so you can have your hard drive replaced. Your hard drive has failed the Drive Selft Test and it needs to be replaced.
0 Kudos
busby777
Copper

I have the same problem, but when I use the "escape" key to exit the diagnostics, Windows XP starts right up and everythign works ???
~~~
0 Kudos
drwoodr
Bronze

I also just started having the same problem on my Inspiron 600M.  I ran the full diagnostics, and the hard drive checked out fine.  The drive self test failure does not come up every time the pc is rebooted, and everything appears to be fine if the error is ignored.  Is the drive really on the verge of failing?  I did a full backup of the hard drive just in case.
0 Kudos
borestofilo
Copper

I hava almost the same problem with my Latitude D510, but the error code is 1000-0146
0 Kudos
rickmktg
Diamond

borestofilo wrote:
I hava almost the same problem with my Latitude D510, but the error code is 1000-0146

If the words are the same, i.e. DST failure, you need a new hard disk.

With over 30,000 posts (through early 2007), Rickmktg hasn't bought a Dell computer since July 2005, but has bought two Lenovo laptops...   

http://www.rickmktg.com/delltalk.htm

0 Kudos
borestofilo
Copper

Yeah, I know, but thanks anyway.

I thought I could recover the HD (I did it with my sister's computer) but trying to do it on my Dell I've seen the DST error and my hopes disappeared
0 Kudos