Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2004 05:00

DVD 8631 broken after 1 month

Hi,

Last month I bought my first Dell 8400, yesterday I found I could no longer read DVD's. However I can read CD's without any problem. I only burnt 2 DVD's on 8 speed on 8 speed platinum 8x media so far. On another forum I found a German who had exact the same problem, his drive was replaced. Now I am using a spare unit from my brother. Send email to Dell support yesterday evening and hope they will fix it soon, I am not quite happy using Dell so far :-(

NicoS

19 Posts

November 27th, 2004 08:00

Thx Esti I owe you a beer mate, worked for me.

Yesterday the thought to flash the firmware crossed my mind, but I read something about warrenty being void and all. Anyway, I am playing HL2 now with a smile on my face,

cheers,
NicoS

33 Posts

November 27th, 2004 08:00

Have you tried the firmware update for that drive.
I have the same drive and it worked great out the box. I've burned about 10 movies with 8x dvd +r media.
A few days ago it just stopped working out the blue so I installed the firmware update from dell and so far so good.

Good luck
Esti

33 Posts

November 28th, 2004 04:00

I haven't tried to burn with -R media yet. I still have about 50 blank 8x +R's laying around.
The next time I'm at a computer store I'll  pick up a small set of -R DVD and let you know.

I never knew that buying a new computer would so time consuming  :smileywink:

35 Posts

November 28th, 2004 04:00

Have you tried the firmware update for that drive.
I have the same drive and it worked great out the box. I've burned about 10 movies with 8x dvd +r media.
A few days ago it just stopped working out the blue so I installed the firmware update from dell and so far so good.

Good luck
Esti

Esit, it is the drive!! You are burning +r which the Phillips if that is what he has will give a good burn. It won't burn to a -R even with the new firmware Dell patched.
This is getting to be a real show and Dell will not acknowledge the problem other then a firmware that does not correct the situation.

19 Posts

November 28th, 2004 12:00

Did only use +R so far, but good to know there is an issue with -R.
thx
No Events found!