Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2011 20:00

DVD/CD Drive disappeared from BIOS and Device Manager

Recently  my DVD/CD Drive disappeared from BIOS and Device Manager.  I've opened up my E520 and checked the connector twice.  It's fine. The SATA port is turned on in BIOS. I've never had a problem with it before.  The only recent software addition/change is that I upgraded to the most recent BIOS version for my system, but that shouldn't have done anything, right?  And I always accept the MS recommended security updates for Vista.  Advice?

12 Posts

December 11th, 2011 12:00

I downgraded to the original BIOS version and its working fine now.

1 Message

December 10th, 2011 22:00

hi my dvd/cd drive diappeared from device manager and it does not play dvd's or cd's what can be done to fix the problem. THANK YOU

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 11th, 2011 03:00

brian duroux, start a new thread with your problem.  Do not hijack an existing thread.  Also, when you repost include your PC model Number and Operating System as it will be needed for someone to assist you.  Also, the status of the drive in the Device Manager - either an error code or "working properly".

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 11th, 2011 03:00

As you upgraded the BIOS, that is probably the problem. BIOS updates are touchy there is no recovery if it gets corrupted. A BIOS update should be done ONLY if the update fixes a problem you are having.  If you can, run the upgrade again as it sounds like something is corrupt in the BIOS.  If the BIOS does not "see" the drive, Windows will not either.  

You can also try resetting the CMOS Memory (BIOS).  With the PC Powered off, open the case and remove the CR2032 backup battery on the motherboard for at least 10 minutes.  Reinstall the battery, observing polarity, then power up and check the BIOS (F2 Setup).

Unfortunately, if the BIOS is corrupted and can't be fixed the ONLY option is to replace the motherboard.  There is no other recovery option on a Dell.

12 Posts

December 11th, 2011 10:00

Thanks.  I'll try reinstalling right now.

12 Posts

December 11th, 2011 10:00

Reinstalling BIOS didn't work.  Looking at the diagram of my internal CPU, there is nothing referred to as a "backup" battery.  There is just a indication of a "battery socket."  Do I unplug whatever is attached there?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 11th, 2011 12:00

Hi 2ndchances,

Refer to this information

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

on how to remove and reinstall the motherboard battery.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 11th, 2011 16:00

Good to hear that worked.

3 Posts

April 29th, 2020 02:00

Which version of old BIOS should be used to support CD/DVD again?

3 Posts

April 29th, 2020 05:00

BIOS update blocked due to unsupported downgrade

So no way how to downgrade.

I think Dell should fix what Dell caused by their BIOS update!

No Events found!