Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2016 21:00

DVD/CD drive won't work

Drive won't load disc video. Worked fine last time I used it. Get this message when looking at device properties. 

Device Status

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Object Name not found.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 9th, 2016 04:00

Hi Judoman89,

Please click the link below to Microsoft Fixit. That should work for you.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2016 12:00

I had already done the fixit with no success. Said all ways OK. Problem resolved by doing the following:

1. Go to start, run and type regedit. Locate the key KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
2.Locate the values on the right for UpperFilters, and/or LowerFilters. Remove these values; then
3.Reboot your computer.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2016 14:00

Windows 10 upgraded from Win 7. Which is when the problem started. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 10th, 2016 14:00

What operating system do you have?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 11th, 2016 17:00

Ok, the procedure is a bit different. Open device manager and change the option in view to show hidden devices. The locate all optical drives, select and uninstall each of them. Then restart the computer.

1 Message

July 12th, 2016 03:00

Hi..hitching a ride on this as I have the same problem. Have followed advice to the point where you say...optical devices. Can you advise what these are on hidden devices list please?

548 Posts

July 17th, 2016 01:00

Hi..hitching a ride on this as I have the same problem. Have followed advice to the point where you say...optical devices. Can you advise what these are on hidden devices list please?

Whenever you connect a device to your computer, windows will install a driver if required and will also remember which installed driver this device needs (as well as other details about the device). The device will be now shown within the device manager as an bright icon belonging to the appropriate section/class.

When you remove the device, it is obvioisly no longer present within the computer and as such is also not present within device manager.

The next time you connect this device to your computer, windows already knows about this device and it does not need to install a driver since it has already done so earlier. The device just works and is again shown as connected within device manager (with a bright icon). It's plug at play at work :emotion-1:

There is also a device section/class that is normally not shown within the device manager, things that belong to for example "non plug and play devices" and "storage volumes". To see these "hidden" devices within the device manager, you specifically select "view" and "show hidden devices" .

However, though hidden devices are shown, non present devices are not included by default unless you premanently add the environment variable "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" to your system. Then when you view hidden devices, this will also include non present devices which are represented as slightly grayed out icons.

(Or you can achieve this on a cash by case basis by strating device manager from a command prompt using the following:
 set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
 start devmgmt.msc
and then selecting "view" and setting "show hidden devices"...)

Since non present devices are checked at system start, to see if their drivers are needed to be loaded, things can get slow and sometimes muddled up. Such non present devices can be things like usb sticks, usb hdd, optical drives, etc which are all plug and play devices that are not plugged in. As such, i periodically jump into device manager and show hidden devices (and since i has permanatly set the environment variable mentioned, it also shows non present devices). Then i go through the list and select and uninstall all non present devices (they grayed dull icons). I find that doing this improves boot times, sometimes significantly. If i plug in a device i have uninstalled in this way, the OS will simply reinstall the needed driver.

So to see what optical drives have been plugged into your system, set the environment variable, start devmgr and click on view then show hidden devices. Then by clicking on DVD/CD ROM drives you will see all non present optical drives. You can uninstall all of them and even the connected one since windows should fix itself up when you next restart.

March 18th, 2023 05:00

The only way to solve this problem is what @Judoman89 posted before:

1. Go to start, run and type regedit. Locate the key KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
2.Locate the values on the right for UpperFilters, and/or LowerFilters. Remove these values; then
3.Reboot your computer.

March 18th, 2023 05:00

Thanks for helping me solve this problem. Do you know how this registry change occurred? and how and where  did you find this pinpoint solution?

No Events found!